FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By kirakira1
So after I moved my ceph to a new spot months ago he went on a growing spree. He was extremely healthy and growing like crazy and yesterday I noticed him looking a little sad, and today he looks like this :/ I'm scared he wont make it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
By kirakira1
He stays in about 50% humidity, he gets his light from my west facing window. I don't water him like crazy or anything. Spray the edges of the soil about once a week and he was loving it for a while. It might be the temperature change? My room gets down to 60 at night and 75 or so in the day at the moment.

By kirakira1
Well it used to get at least 3 or 4 and it gets light that spills over from my greenhouse that's next to it. Maybe it's due to the change in light? The sun has been setting a lotttt earlier

By kirakira1
Is there anything I can do to save it? It almost looks a little too late. He seemed fine with that amount of water. It was never a lot. It's almost dried out when I mist again :/

By kirakira1
No. This was shortly after a watering :/ sadly

By kirakira1
Today he was completely brown :( checked the roots and they're black.

By Nancy
Letting it get to dry probably damaged the roots beyond repair; especially with a baby plant as they don't have an extensive root system to begin with. Ceph's can be tricky to grow in a peaty medium. Keep them too wet for too long and they can rot, let them get too dry and you get root death/dehydration in small plants.

I have found that if you grow ceph's in a medium that is mostly coarse sand, you can keep them moist without worrying about overwatering/rot issues. I grow all my ceph's in a mix of 30% peat/70% coarse silica sand. They do wonderful, grow nice roots and I don't have rot issues. I even top water!
Nancy liked this
By kirakira1
I'm going to try cephs again soon :/ I'm sad he died, but they are pretty difficult. He did fine for monthss and one day *bam* dead

By Earthy
Nancy wrote:Letting it get to dry probably damaged the roots beyond repair; especially with a baby plant as they don't have an extensive root system to begin with. Ceph's can be tricky to grow in a peaty medium. Keep them too wet for too long and they can rot, let them get too dry and you get root death/dehydration in small plants.

I have found that if you grow ceph's in a medium that is mostly coarse sand, you can keep them moist without worrying about overwatering/rot issues. I grow all my ceph's in a mix of 30% peat/70% coarse silica sand. They do wonderful, grow nice roots and I don't have rot issues. I even top water!
ya, Nancy knows her stuff. If I finally get into growing Cephs I'm gonna be asking her tons of questions lol :P
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!