FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Anymal911
Are ants harmful to CPs? My dad put something next to my grow rack that made fire ants get all over it, mostly on my N. x miranda and a typical VFT. There weren't many but I'm still worried.
By Benurmanii
Not that I'm aware of. More often then not, they lead each other into death. I'd watch Brad's Greenhouse video where he puts one of his Nepenthes next to a colony of ants.
By w03
Agreed, they're great snacks for your plants (though I wouldn't want to pick up a pot with fire ants all over it). Probably a little small for your VFT, but your nep is going to have a buffet.
By katya_dog1
Some ants will nest in the pots, but really, ants are just prey. Any damage is generally a result of their tunneling activities.

Monitor the pot if you're worried, but fire ants don't really like to nest (to my knowledge) in loose media like LFS, they prefer clay or sand.
By Eric
Word of caution from personal experience. The ants themselves will not hurt your plants BUT they will invite over their unwelcome friends. Had a bunch of ants in my pools during the spring and now I'm fighting off mealybugs that they brought over.
By stephen777
Yeah I have noticed they invite their friends too.... Have some scale insects on some of my neps because of ants... :( Ants by themselves are harmless as far as I know though. :)
By katya_dog1
Oh yes, ants will also cultivate aphids for their honeydew, which is NOT something you want occurring on your plants, believe me.

They get punished for it, though. :)
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!