FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Alredor
Hey guys,
I've always read that using peat moss and a combination of sand, perlite, etc. is good for growing CP's. The problem is I can't seem to get peat moss anywhere. I can however get (partially) live sphagnum moss at my local garden centre. So my idea is to mix that up roughly 50:50 with playsand (washed). Right now I have a Drosera Capensis, VFT, Sarracenia hybrid and Sarracenia Purpurea and I want to plant them in this mixture. What do you guys think? Let me know!
-Alredor
By Mufasa
not new to use LFS for CP's haha
you really cant find the bricks of dead LFS, or bags of peat? have a look for a nursery supplier, they can sell it in bulk for cheap
By Alredor
Mufasa wrote:not new to use LFS for CP's haha
you really cant find the bricks of dead LFS, or bags of peat? have a look for a nursery supplier, they can sell it in bulk for cheap
I know it's not new to use LFS for CP's, but I wasn't sure about (partially) alive sphagnum moss and sand. Anyway I tried it, but after a few weeks my pots started to smell pretty bad... I think the moss started decomposing because the grain size of the sand was very small (kinda like beach sand) and circulation was very poor. So I got some aquarim gravel (1-2 mm) and something called 'turfstrooisel' in dutch, which roughly translates to 'peat/moss litter'. It's described as the upper layers from a peat bog ('veen' in dutch). Washed it all with water (first tap, then RO water), mixed it up 50/50 and it's looks pretty good.
By Benurmanii
Alredor wrote:
Mufasa wrote:not new to use LFS for CP's haha
I know it's not new to use LFS for CP's, but I wasn't sure about (partially) alive sphagnum moss and sand. Anyway I tried it, but after a few weeks my pots started to smell pretty bad... I think the moss started decomposing because the grain size of the sand was very small (kinda like beach sand) and circulation was very poor. So I got some aquarim gravel (1-2 mm) and something called 'turfstrooisel' in dutch, which roughly translates to 'peat/moss litter'. It's described as the upper layers from a peat bog ('veen' in dutch). Washed it all with water (first tap, then RO water), mixed it up 50/50 and it's looks pretty good.
Did you wash the sand until the water was clear? You really gotta wash it well, otherwise it will build up that bacteria that makes it smell bad.
Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!