FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jostle
Hello everyone,

I have a venous fly trap that I had problems with last year during our New England Winter. I recently brought the plant inside and have it at around 60 degrees. Also, it is receiving artificial sunlight from a Hydroponic LED grow light made by TaoTronics. Last year my plant did poorly in these conditions. It was being watered frequently (2-3 times a week) and received about 8-9 hours of light a day. Can anyone tell me what I was doing wrong and how to effectively use this LED light to keep my plant alive?

Thanks!
By Eric Millikin
Sounds too warm and too wet to me.

Soil should be just slightly moist.

Average January temperatures for Venus flytraps' natural habitat around Wilmington, North Carolina are: Avg. Low: 36 Avg High: 56

(Your light sounds fine to me.)
Eric Millikin liked this
By omnipercp15
My VFTs are still able to handle temps even in the 30s without added stress. At 60, you might be taking them in too soon.

However, regardless of that, as long as you keep it in some cool place, instead of in the warmth of your living room.

The other thing to be concerned about is that you were probably watering too much in that dormant season. Use your finger to determine if there is moisture and that will help you water it during winter.
By Earthy
Right now mine are in the garage at about 51-52 degrees, and it'll get cooler as the winter goes on. I too had mine in the 60's last dormancy and they did not do well. Took them forever to wake up...they are already growing at a snail pace which means I'm on the right track. Some don't really seem to be growing at all, and I'm keeping them all barely moist...
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!