FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
So I recently got a 70 gallon tank off of craigslist for 40 bucks so I can grow highland-type plants in it. It's going to go in my basement, so at night I can open the windows a bit to cool off the room and get the nightly temp drop. However, I will be going off to college soon (locally though, so I could occasionally visit and check on the plants I couldn't bring), and my parents do not want to crack the windows every night (which, I suppose is understandable, but I mean, how could you not do anything for Nepenthes?). My mom doesn't want a large device like a room air conditioner to cool them off at night (though I might be able to persuade her, it would be useful during the summer if people want to retreat to the basement to really cool off).

So basically I'm thinking of making a peltier-based cooling system. I am wondering if anyone with experience in making these for vivariums could help me out. :D

Thanks!
By guffers69
Just get a couple of PC fans, and wire them to a timer. I use a more sophisticated system now with sensors but that will give you the drop easily.
By katya_dog1
Yeah. PC fans won't give you the 10-20 degree drop you really need. I researched this at length a few months ago, and it does seem like there is no perfect solution.
By Benurmanii
Temps drop to about 65 by themselves. I was wondering if it would work if I insulated the tank around 3 sides. However, would it be a better option to just see if I can use an airconditioner? The main species that I wanted to grow that is less tolerant is N. jacquelineae, however, if I can't work things out I'll probably just get the more tolerant (though much more expensive, for some reason) N. jamban.
By Alvin 415
Benurmanii wrote:if I can't work things out I'll probably just get the more tolerant (though much more expensive, for some reason) N. jamban.
IME, N. jamban has been very hardy. I don't think my N. jamban's room got below 75 all summer long. Its shelf reaches 98 degrees Fahrenheit.

I took this pic today. I'm looking forward to the day it starts producing upper pitchers.
jamban 20151023.jpg
jamban 20151023.jpg (114.57 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
My growlist has pics of how much this plant has grown in 10 months.

Good luck!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!