FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By iamjacksplants
Benurmanii wrote:Lookin good! Do you plan on giving them a winter rest?
Thank you!

I'm not sure what to call what I'm planning. I'll try and be brief, as I have a habit of over explaining I'm trying to cut back on. :P

I intend give all my plants the same slight seasonal changes. i.e. reduced photoperiod, lower temperature, some plants will get more water, some less - as indicated by the seasonal differences of their natural habitat. Obviously I can't copy everyone's home climate, but I am operating under the delusion that I can find a median among everyone's ...weather back home. So I imagine it's going the be a rather mild "winter" in comparison to any of their individual places of origin. Hopefully, it will be dramatic enough to convince everyone that there's seasons. They can then decide for them selves how to respond. I've kind of come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter where a plant is from, there are SOME kind of seasonal differences, so it follows that it shouldn't hurt any of them to attempt to duplicate that.

All of that said however, I have been considering the fact that everyone is pretty young, and if I get lucky and convince them of winter and spring I may end up causing them to flower prematurely.

So I guess the actual honest short answer to your question is:

:shock:i don't know yet?! :roll:

What do you think?

What are your dormancy and or winter plans?

Thank you Benurmanii. Also, anyone else reading this far, please feel free to give your thoughts as well.

Cheers,
-@.
By Benurmanii
I'm slowy reducing the photoperiod as well. I don't really have an artifical way to lower the day and night temps except for the actually day and night temps outside hopefully affecting my basement slightly (it's easier to add heat than remove it). Since most of my plants are not picky about seasonal changes, I'm not to worried about getting anything really specific, except for my pygmy drosera, which I read usually will produce gemmae by lowering the photperiod to 10 hours a day. However, since I have some plants light that require a lot of light, and I currently only have two 48" T12's for my growing space (both at different heights, some of my plants are tall, some are not), I don't really have the strongest light and I am a bit nervous reducing the photoperiod by that much. Though my pygmy drosera are currently flowering so I'll see how much success I can get with trying to germinate their seeds.

I reduced the photo period from 16 hours to 15.5 hours (I reduced it by five minutes every other day), though I stopped recently, as it is only early fall and I don't want to reduce the photoperiod too much before winter.

Basically I'm playing everything based off of how my plants seem to handle it. I'm not making any drastic changes, just carefully improvising. I plan to get a cephalotus in the future, and I think that I will reduce the photo period during the winter to around 11 or 12 hours, to see if I can give it a little "rest", and hopefully induce my pygmies into making gemmae. However, if they don't make gemmae, it wouldn't be too big of a deal. I hope to make a small growing space for some species that require more light with some 2ft T5-HO fixtures that I found for a good deal at the Portland Nursery, so hopefully then I will have more room for experimentation. :)
Benurmanii liked this
By iamjacksplants
I've read a lot of places that it's not really too good to lower the photoperiod to much less than 14 hours, definitely not less than 12. That's just what I've read though, so if you've found other information and wouldn't mind sharing, that would be great.

The t5 HOs are nice, for under 30$. Personally I don't think they are worth much more than that. Again, just my opinion, but you could achieve the same output by getting a few more of the same fixtures you already have. Space is a constant concern though. I guess if you've got the money they're worth it.

I hope you do get a Ceph. They're a really fun plant to grow. I think everybody should have at least one. :)

Cheers,
-@.
By Benurmanii
Yeah I'm a little hesitant to lower the photoperiod to that much. I guess I'll lower it to 14 hours for now (slowly). If they don't seem to start produce any gemmae I might lower it a teeeny bit more, though if no signs of gemmae show then I might keep it around 14 hours.

Also I've read that cephalotus start to rest at about 11 to 12 hours photoperiod under lights. However, I've read people claiming that they need the rest, and some claiming that they don't.
By iamjacksplants
Yeah I'm a little hesitant to lower the photoperiod to that much. I guess I'll lower it to 14 hours for now (slowly). If they don't seem to start produce any gemmae I might lower it a teeeny bit more, though if no signs of gemmae show then I might keep it around 14 hours.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I haven't found any information that indicates any photoperiod lesser than 12 hours is adequate. This is also assuming one is using either standard fluorescent tube lighting, or LED equivalent. Obviously, HID lighting such as HPS or MH is going to provide a much more "Sun" like light intensity and therefore photoperiod can be reduced beyond that which would be advisable for fluorescent systems. However that kind of lighting seems like overkill to me. It produces tons of heat for one thing, and SUCKS energy for another. Not to mention per unit costs. In any case, perhaps the information you found about reducing the photoperiod to less than 12 hours was in reference to a lighting system of greater intensity than fluorescent. Or perhaps even natural light.

Also I've read that cephalotus start to rest at about 11 to 12 hours photoperiod under lights. However, I've read people claiming that they need the rest, and some claiming that they don't.

My current understanding is that, when given a rest period Cephalotus will flower. When not given a rest, the grow year around without flowering. This information was given by Matt in another post. It's NOT a direct quote, but the general idea of his statement. Can't remember what post it was though. The flower stalks of Cephalotus are ENORMOUS in comparison to the plant itself. Check out this video

Carnivorous Plants - Cephalotus follicularis

By SarraceniaNorthwest

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3hZeVEVJ9ZQ

Hope this helps.

Happy growing,
-@.
By iamjacksplants
Benurmanii wrote:Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up. If I get a Cephalotus, I may try to get it to flower, but like I said, I'm going to try to approach all of this cautiously.
Well again, this is all second hand information. Hearsay really. Please, don't take my word for anything. With the possible exception of anything regarding electricity, as I've been an electrician for 15 years, however I'm still far from an expert!

Did you watch that video?

Cheers,
-@.
Last edited by iamjacksplants on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacksplants liked this
By iamjacksplants
What did you think of the video?

Cheers,
-@.
By iamjacksplants
Glad you found something new in it. I'm currently watching and digesting this documentary:

'Inside The Mind of Plants'

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zyOpv_SH ... zYq32gQ%3D

I've posted it a few different places here. I think everyone should watch it, growers and nongrowers alike.

I'm actually considering making the link my signature.

Happy growing and discovering,
-@.
By iamjacksplants
Anymal911 wrote:Yo Adam, do you know if jcal still has those seeds up for sale?
I'm sure he does. He responds to email faster than the messages here. His email is on his for sale posts. If you can't find it let me know and I'll get it for you.

Cheers,
-@.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!