FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By YaronR
Hi,
Just wanted to confirm with you.

Is the webbing on my purpurea in the image in fact mite webbing, and not spider webbing?
I didn't see the mites themselves, but then they are very small...
I noticed the web after misting (which should help with getting rid of mites).

I recently used Imidacloprid, since I found scale on a couple of Sarracenia, and decided to nuke them.
When reading about mites and Imidacloprid, I came across an article saying that use of Imidacloprid may cause an increase in spider mites.

Here's the link to the article:
https://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 9420,d.bGg
Last edited by YaronR on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By sbrooks
Sorry that no one can answer your question. It's hard for me to say whether or not those webs are from spider mites. All I can suggest for symptoms is do some research on Google.
When I tried to click on your link, it was a download, and I wasn't looking to download a link that I wasn't familiar with.
But it is crazy that Imidacloprid is apparently ineffective against spider mites. Just to be safe, you might want to get some Bayer Natria Insect, Disease and Mite Control (available at Lowe's and Home Depot), or order a miticide from Flytrapstore.
By evenwind
I could also suggest a 40x or 45x loupe magnifier (easily gotten from Ebay) so you can actually see the bugs - one way or the other.
By lothar123
Imidacloprid is an extremely effective insecticide however mites are not insects, but more closely related to spiders and ticks. Many of the newer insecticides are highly specific to insects, which is what tends to make them safer for humans.

Imidacloprid can kill predatory insects if used as a spray and not soil drench, which is likely what that paper describes.

I've found that the simplest way to kill spider mites, aphids, etc on terrestrial plants is to simply submerse them, pot and all, in water. Many cp can tolerate flooding for several days. Exceptions would be pings and drosophyllum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!