D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here
User Avatar
rusology

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by rusology » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 am

Just an update on my burmannii which has been eating like crazy for a week and turning all green which I kinda like. The picture below is when I first received the plant and the right one is 3 weeks later with a rotten apple beside its pot. They catch insects super fast and I have to clean some traps with water as it was getting moldy.

10834887_925126617553176_2180328799623456651_o.jpg
10834887_925126617553176_2180328799623456651_o.jpg (239.41 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

User Avatar
fattytuna

 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 253 times in 194 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by fattytuna » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Looking good B) make sure to keep on feeding them if you want them to survive after flowering

The following users would like to thank fattytuna for this post
rusology

User Avatar
rusology

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by rusology » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 pm

fattytuna wrote:Looking good B) make sure to keep on feeding them if you want them to survive after flowering


Yup I do it every other week. They do catch insects on their own but with a rotten apple beside it is like a supercharged buffet lol.

User Avatar
Anymal911

 
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: USDA Zone 9a, Texas
Thanked: 141 times in 131 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by Anymal911 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:43 pm

The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.
Hit that thumbs up if I helped you in any way! :)
Have any plants you don't want? PM me!

My Growlist
My Photo Thread
Anymal911's S. minor Journal
Follow me on Instagram!

User Avatar
queeny707

 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:41 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by queeny707 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:42 am

I got one of these, and I was wondering can they live in the same soil as a VFT? Same lighting?etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

User Avatar
SerMuncherIV
Super User
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: NJ
Thanked: 387 times in 320 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by SerMuncherIV » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:52 am

Anymal911 wrote:The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.


This is not what I have observed of the Drosera, and other CPs, that I grow. The only plants that seem to display this trait are D. burmannii and its close relative D. sessilifolia. No other Drosera that I know of turn green after feeding, their coloration is based upon the light that they're getting.

User Avatar
rusology

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by rusology » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 am

@queeny707, Sorry but I am not sure. I do not own VFTs. My drosera are in long sphagnum/perlite mix and left outside in full sun.

@Anymal911, This is confusing. Like in the pic, most of the leaves that are old also changed color instead of stop coloring like you mentioned.

@SerMuncherIV let me try to starve it and see if it changes back to red lol. Bit hard to do since they live in the garden.

User Avatar
fattytuna

 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 253 times in 194 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by fattytuna » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:56 pm

queeny707 wrote:I got one of these, and I was wondering can they live in the same soil as a VFT? Same lighting?etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk


Will work fine in the same conditions. D. burmanii won't go into dormancy though and keep it out of frost.

User Avatar
Anymal911

 
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: USDA Zone 9a, Texas
Thanked: 141 times in 131 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by Anymal911 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:45 pm

SerMuncherIV wrote:
Anymal911 wrote:The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.


This is not what I have observed of the Drosera, and other CPs, that I grow. The only plants that seem to display this trait are D. burmannii and its close relative D. sessilifolia. No other Drosera that I know of turn green after feeding, their coloration is based upon the light that they're getting.

You may have not noticed before, but I know for a fact VFT traps stop coloring up after digesting a meal. When the trap reopens, all the ATP (energy) from that leaf is absorbed into the main part of the plant to be used in producing more traps, and the trap simply dies eventually, which is why it (usually) cannot close after reopening. In order to get a very colorful plant, it is better to not feed it as often, which is why plants grown indoors are usually more colorful (that and the fact that the grow light might help it more). While this may not be true for all Droseras, it is for VFTs, but it is simply an observation.
Hit that thumbs up if I helped you in any way! :)
Have any plants you don't want? PM me!

My Growlist
My Photo Thread
Anymal911's S. minor Journal
Follow me on Instagram!

User Avatar
SerMuncherIV
Super User
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: NJ
Thanked: 387 times in 320 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by SerMuncherIV » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:18 pm

For the OP's reference on this, besides personal observation:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/general-discussions/136354-radagasts-photo-thread-7.html

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/burmannii.html

Many plants, CP included will, "color up" when they're getting good light and other favorable conditions. Unfortunately, plants will also develop off-color when they're stressed for certain nutrients. The pink tint of your Drosera burmannii seedlings, for example, is an example of nutrient deficiency, rather than a color up. It is a difficult thing to describe, but usually with experience you will learn to discern the differences.]


Drosera burmannii prefers as much light as possible. When fed very little, Drosera burmannii can develop red or pink coloration on the tentacles. Some forms can turn completely red. If fed a lot, Drosera burmannii will grow rapidly and turn light green.


@Anymal: If you could find a source for this information (aside from personal observation of a very small experimental group), that would be helpful. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "many CPs", but the vast majority do not behave this way. VFT traps with prey may fail to color up due to the inability of the lobes to access light while closed, but I've seen no difference in coloration in traps that are grown outside where they catch prey frequently, both my plants and those of others.

User Avatar
Benurmanii

 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:34 pm
Thanked: 410 times in 328 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by Benurmanii » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 am

Anymal911 wrote:
SerMuncherIV wrote:
Anymal911 wrote:The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.


This is not what I have observed of the Drosera, and other CPs, that I grow. The only plants that seem to display this trait are D. burmannii and its close relative D. sessilifolia. No other Drosera that I know of turn green after feeding, their coloration is based upon the light that they're getting.

You may have not noticed before, but I know for a fact VFT traps stop coloring up after digesting a meal. When the trap reopens, all the ATP (energy) from that leaf is absorbed into the main part of the plant to be used in producing more traps, and the trap simply dies eventually, which is why it (usually) cannot close after reopening. In order to get a very colorful plant, it is better to not feed it as often, which is why plants grown indoors are usually more colorful (that and the fact that the grow light might help it more). While this may not be true for all Droseras, it is for VFTs, but it is simply an observation.


I don't want to seem like I'm ganging up on you, but I had always understood that all cps don't absorb energy from eating, only to absorb more materials to make them grow (such as nitrogen and phosphor). I think that the traps die after a while because the cells that literally expand to make the trap close wear out after closing too much.

I think the red coloration only has to do with how much light it is getting (except for of course, D. burmannii and it's relatives). I figured that the red coloration was to reflect some of the red light so they wouldn't be overloaded with excess energy (that's why I thought chloroplasts absorbed more red light than blue, Sermuncher) which they would be unable to use, though I am probably wrong about this.

User Avatar
Benurmanii

 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:34 pm
Thanked: 410 times in 328 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by Benurmanii » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:36 am

I looked it up and it seems that most leaves turn red when they reduce the production of chlorophyll, and so other redder pigments are seen.

User Avatar
Anymal911

 
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: USDA Zone 9a, Texas
Thanked: 141 times in 131 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by Anymal911 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:50 am

Let's go with you guys' info, I'm still kind of a beginner... :lol: It was just an observation combined with what I've read on this forum.
Hit that thumbs up if I helped you in any way! :)
Have any plants you don't want? PM me!

My Growlist
My Photo Thread
Anymal911's S. minor Journal
Follow me on Instagram!

The following users would like to thank Anymal911 for this post
Benurmanii

User Avatar
Benurmanii

 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:34 pm
Thanked: 410 times in 328 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by Benurmanii » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:56 am

Anymal911 wrote:Let's go with you guys' info, I'm still kind of a beginner... :lol: It was just an observation combined with what I've read on this forum.


I'm a beginner too, just with an interest in biology. I've noticed that whenever people try to give each other correct information, they always sound angry for some reason, though likely not intentional. I guess everyone is just extremely passionate about learning :lol:

The following users would like to thank Benurmanii for this post
Anymal911

User Avatar
rusology

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts

Re: D.burmannii 'humpty doo' turning green after feeding.

by rusology » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:07 am

Haha thank you everyone for all the info. These are my first batch of CPs as well so no idea what is going on.


Return to Sundews, Rainbow Plants, and Dewy Pines

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests