FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
So I recently moved all of my cps here (was originally just for the sundews until I found that I wasn't getting enough light through my window). The sundews have been loving it, especially since I installed a 3500k bulb isntead of using just two 6500k bulbs in the front fixture. The back fixture also uses a 3500k and a 6500k bulb, however, the 3500k one seems to be faulty and is waaaay dim compared to the one in the front fixture (stupid finicky T12s). I plan to replace both bulbs in the back fixture with to 4000k bulbs, as from a bit of research it seems these are an ideal color temp for neps, though I figure everyone has different anecdotal evidence.

My setup is in the basement and I have to say at first I was dissapointed to move my nepenthes down there where they wouldn't be readily viewed, the RH is a constant 50% throughout the year which they which is great for putting no effort into rasing the humidity (in fact, my parents have a dehumidifier downstairs cause the RH used to get so high it would mold).

Just wanting to share my little place of plants (and also gripe about the stupid faulty bulb), if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (432.53 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (438.16 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Benurmanii liked this
By YaronR
You should know that the temperature of the light have more to do with wave length and not how much light they put out.
That is why the 3500K seemed dim (more to the red, if I remember correctly).
I think it is better with a combination of cool white, day light and warm white.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
YaronR wrote:You should know that the temperature of the light have more to do with wave length and not how much light they put out.
That is why the 3500K seemed dim (more to the red, if I remember correctly).
I think it is better with a combination of cool white, day light and warm white.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I got that, but it seems a lot less bright than the other 3500k bulb I have (they came in the same pack). However, I think it's just the position I'm looking at it from makes it seem less bright comparatively.

I use them in combination with day light lamps (6500k). I used to only use 6500k, however, my sundews would not color up well and seemed to put out less dew.
By kronos1996
www.growsundews.org has a whole section on cheap and effective lighting.

He also made dozens of youtube videos about different Drosera varieties several years back.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!