FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rusology
Just an update on my burmannii which has been eating like crazy for a week and turning all green which I kinda like. The picture below is when I first received the plant and the right one is 3 weeks later with a rotten apple beside its pot. They catch insects super fast and I have to clean some traps with water as it was getting moldy.
10834887_925126617553176_2180328799623456651_o.jpg
10834887_925126617553176_2180328799623456651_o.jpg (236.24 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
By rusology
fattytuna wrote:Looking good B) make sure to keep on feeding them if you want them to survive after flowering
Yup I do it every other week. They do catch insects on their own but with a rotten apple beside it is like a supercharged buffet lol.
By Anymal911
The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.
By SerMuncherIV
Anymal911 wrote:The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.
This is not what I have observed of the Drosera, and other CPs, that I grow. The only plants that seem to display this trait are D. burmannii and its close relative D. sessilifolia. No other Drosera that I know of turn green after feeding, their coloration is based upon the light that they're getting.
By rusology
@queeny707, Sorry but I am not sure. I do not own VFTs. My drosera are in long sphagnum/perlite mix and left outside in full sun.

@Anymal911, This is confusing. Like in the pic, most of the leaves that are old also changed color instead of stop coloring like you mentioned.

@SerMuncherIV let me try to starve it and see if it changes back to red lol. Bit hard to do since they live in the garden.
By Anymal911
SerMuncherIV wrote:
Anymal911 wrote:The plant is turning green because many CPs' leaves stop coloring up after a particular leaf has eaten... So if all of your plant's leaves have digested a meal right after growing out then they did not color up.
This is not what I have observed of the Drosera, and other CPs, that I grow. The only plants that seem to display this trait are D. burmannii and its close relative D. sessilifolia. No other Drosera that I know of turn green after feeding, their coloration is based upon the light that they're getting.
You may have not noticed before, but I know for a fact VFT traps stop coloring up after digesting a meal. When the trap reopens, all the ATP (energy) from that leaf is absorbed into the main part of the plant to be used in producing more traps, and the trap simply dies eventually, which is why it (usually) cannot close after reopening. In order to get a very colorful plant, it is better to not feed it as often, which is why plants grown indoors are usually more colorful (that and the fact that the grow light might help it more). While this may not be true for all Droseras, it is for VFTs, but it is simply an observation.
By SerMuncherIV
For the OP's reference on this, besides personal observation:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gener ... ead-7.html

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/burmannii.html
Many plants, CP included will, "color up" when they're getting good light and other favorable conditions. Unfortunately, plants will also develop off-color when they're stressed for certain nutrients. The pink tint of your Drosera burmannii seedlings, for example, is an example of nutrient deficiency, rather than a color up. It is a difficult thing to describe, but usually with experience you will learn to discern the differences.]
Drosera burmannii prefers as much light as possible. When fed very little, Drosera burmannii can develop red or pink coloration on the tentacles. Some forms can turn completely red. If fed a lot, Drosera burmannii will grow rapidly and turn light green.
@Anymal: If you could find a source for this information (aside from personal observation of a very small experimental group), that would be helpful. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "many CPs", but the vast majority do not behave this way. VFT traps with prey may fail to color up due to the inability of the lobes to access light while closed, but I've seen no difference in coloration in traps that are grown outside where they catch prey frequently, both my plants and those of others.
By Benurmanii
Anymal911 wrote:
SerMuncherIV wrote:
You may have not noticed before, but I know for a fact VFT traps stop coloring up after digesting a meal. When the trap reopens, all the ATP (energy) from that leaf is absorbed into the main part of the plant to be used in producing more traps, and the trap simply dies eventually, which is why it (usually) cannot close after reopening. In order to get a very colorful plant, it is better to not feed it as often, which is why plants grown indoors are usually more colorful (that and the fact that the grow light might help it more). While this may not be true for all Droseras, it is for VFTs, but it is simply an observation.
I don't want to seem like I'm ganging up on you, but I had always understood that all cps don't absorb energy from eating, only to absorb more materials to make them grow (such as nitrogen and phosphor). I think that the traps die after a while because the cells that literally expand to make the trap close wear out after closing too much.

I think the red coloration only has to do with how much light it is getting (except for of course, D. burmannii and it's relatives). I figured that the red coloration was to reflect some of the red light so they wouldn't be overloaded with excess energy (that's why I thought chloroplasts absorbed more red light than blue, Sermuncher) which they would be unable to use, though I am probably wrong about this.
By Anymal911
Let's go with you guys' info, I'm still kind of a beginner... :lol: It was just an observation combined with what I've read on this forum.
Anymal911 liked this
By Benurmanii
Anymal911 wrote:Let's go with you guys' info, I'm still kind of a beginner... :lol: It was just an observation combined with what I've read on this forum.
I'm a beginner too, just with an interest in biology. I've noticed that whenever people try to give each other correct information, they always sound angry for some reason, though likely not intentional. I guess everyone is just extremely passionate about learning :lol:
Benurmanii liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!