FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ashpv
Sorry to add to all the recent threads about dormancy. I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered anywhere else.

I have the following sundews which have been growing outside for the past two months:
D. binata 'Marston Dragon'
D. spatulata
D. x eloisiana
(D. rotundifolia x D. intermedia) (formerly known as D. x beleziana 'Nightmare')
D. capensis
Unidentified (I think it's also a D. spatulata, but it isn't labeled)

From what I've read, the D. binata and D. x eloisiana don't require dormancy but will go dormant if left outside in colder temperatures. The others definitely need to come inside for the winter.

1. Is that correct so far?
2. For those that can stay outside, is it better to leave them outside and let them go dormant or bring them inside?
3. Is a sunny south-facing windowsill sufficient to keep them alive through the winter, or will they need supplemental lighting?

Thanks!
WP_20150929_002.jpg
WP_20150929_002.jpg (481.31 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
By Laizura
Spatulata needs dormancy but the capensis doesnt I don't know about the Marston dragon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SerMuncherIV
Laizura wrote:Spatulata needs dormancy but the capensis doesnt I don't know about the Marston dragon
Completely incorrect. I don't know where you heard that D. spatulata needs dormancy, but whoever told you that is seriously misguided.

D. x eloisiana does need dormancy (both parents are strong temperates, and I think it unlikely that someone used a tropical form of D. intermedia to make another form of the cross), and D. 'Marston Dragon' can go dormant if conditions are unfavorable like most forms of D. binata.
SerMuncherIV liked this
By ashpv
SerMuncherIV wrote:
Laizura wrote:Spatulata needs dormancy but the capensis doesnt I don't know about the Marston dragon
Completely incorrect. I don't know where you heard that D. spatulata needs dormancy, but whoever told you that is seriously misguided.

D. x eloisiana does need dormancy (both parents are strong temperates, and I think it unlikely that someone used a tropical form of D. intermedia to make another form of the cross), and D. 'Marston Dragon' can go dormant if conditions are unfavorable like most forms of D. binata.
Thank you. I think I'll move the D. x eloisiana into the D. binata pot and leave it outdoors, and move the D. spatulata into the D. capensis pot and bring that one inside.

Any input on the need for supplemental lighting?
By tommyr

Spatulata doesn't need dormancy. Mine don't get dormancy and do fine.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!