FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By fishandplants
Hi there!

I've been looking around for a new species to grow but utrics aren't favorited by many online stores.
I'll keep my eye on ebay, but does anyone have any suggestions?
I currently grow sandersonii, livida, longifolia, and reniformis.
I'm especially partial to larger or unique leaves but am hesitant about the "weedy" varieties that self seed as I'm a student and may be distracted sometimes.

Thanks! :D
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Well, the carnivore and more group order had many urticularia, like jitka, long folia, and some really weird ones. You could wait till another group order comes along, or lees botanical gardens. They have U. Purperea
By MossWalker
HeliamphoraWalnut, does the nursery have a website? I can't find it. Where do we watch for an announcement for a coming group order opportunity?
By fishandplants
I've heard and purchased from Lee's before. I'm usually not too successful with aquatics, plus they're not as interesting to me.
What is this other place you're talking about?
By HeliamphoraWalnut
They have a catalog, carnivorsandmore more, it's in Europe. You can wait for another group order or organize your own in sales trades and wants group order subforum. The group order is not accepting any, more people, though
Here's the URL
http://www.carnivorsandmore.de/vkliste_ ... h_vers.pdf
Scroll down till you see urticularia.
Last edited by HeliamphoraWalnut on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By iamjacksplants
Hey fishandplants,
I feel your pain on finding decent Utrics.. my next must have is U. menziesii. Have you stumbled upon THAT little gem yet? I'm beginning to wonder if I'd have better luck getting a hold of a unicorn than a U. menziesii plug for under 100$! Maybe just as well, it's a tuberous Utricularia AND it requires a summer dormancy! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! :shock:

I do have some U. Alpina though, if you might be interested in a trade? I don't know which U. sandersonii you have, but I have 'typical' and 'blue' so I still need 'narrow'.. anyway, have a gander at my grow list. If you see anything you might want to trade for shoot a PM. Oh I have Ginlisea as well. Not a Utric but very similar. I also have U. Reniformis 'Effant Terrible'. Do you happen to know which one you're growing?

Cheers,
-@.
By killerplants4realz
fishandplants wrote:Found the group post. Darn. I missed out by about a week or so! Jealous. :/
Jcal looks like he is selling some utrics. Look in sales trades on this site. He has other good deals. I have purchased many plants from him and all plants delivered on time and healthy! Also all the plants he sold me are still alive and doing great! Happy growing:)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
killerplants4realz liked this
By iamjacksplants
killerplants4realz wrote:
fishandplants wrote:Found the group post. Darn. I missed out by about a week or so! Jealous. :/
Jcal looks like he is selling some utrics. Look in sales trades on this site. He has other good deals. I have purchased many plants from him and all plants delivered on time and healthy! Also all the plants he sold me are still alive and doing great! Happy growing:)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Same experience here with Jcal. That's where I got U. Reniformis and U. Alpha. And some Cephs. And Heliamphora. And D. schizandra. Oh and Ginlisea.

ALL fantastic plants.

Happy growing,
-@.
By w03
Genlisea ;p

I'd recommend Jcal too, he has some great plants. Just as a heads up, all of the sect. Orchidioides Utrics that weren't formerly in sect. Iperua are all more or less highlanders, so if haven't grown HL plants before I'd suggest starting with something on the intermediate side.

U. reniformis is the easiest of the group, and you're already growing that successfully so U. nelumbifolia or U. alpina would probably be a good step up.
By iamjacksplants
w03 wrote:Genlisea ;p

I'd recommend Jcal too, he has some great plants. Just as a heads up, all of the sect. Orchidioides Utrics that weren't formerly in sect. Iperua are all more or less highlanders, so if haven't grown HL plants before I'd suggest starting with something on the intermediate side.

U. reniformis is the easiest of the group, and you're already growing that successfully so U. nelumbifolia or U. alpina would probably be a good step up.
Hey w03, how's it goin?

While your assessment of U. Reniformis and U. Alpina is in keeping with text book growing conditions recommended for the plants, I have personally found them to be MUCH more forgiving than they are sometimes made out to be.

I have grown BOTH plants in "temperate" conditions initially, and currently in an increasingly "intermediate" setup. I started with a pretty consistent temp. range of around 80* during the day, dropping no lower than 74* at night. Just basically an ambient drop combined with lower temps of the lights being off. Currently, my daytime temps do not exceed 81* and my nighttime drop has been as low as 66* the last week or so, and 70* consistently for over a month. I have yet to notice any real difference in these, or ANY of my "intermediate" plants for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means suggesting that "intermediate" conditions aren't appreciated by "intermediate" plants.. I'm simply suggesting that these plants, and many others, may be slightly more forgiving than one might think. It's been my experience (all be it VERY SHORT), that if humidity and light levels are satisfied, temperature drop can fudged a little. Especially if the particular plant's upper temperature limits are not reached during the day, the nighttime drop seems less critical.

Just my experience so far. I have U. Alpina and U. Reniformis "Effant Terrible" spreading like wildfire in my grow area.

Hope this helps!
Happy growing.
Cheers,
-@.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!