FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
I bought this sarr from Lowe's in a combo kit with my VFT. It's since sprouted and doing nicely. However, I don't know which variety it is. I know that it's most likely purpurea or maybe even a rubra as oreophila is critically endangered and hard to come by. Thus, most places don't sell them.

Is it too early to tell yet? Sorry for the image being sideways...I uploaded it as an attachment via my phone.
20150919_105239.jpg
20150919_105239.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2645 times
By SerMuncherIV
It's still far too early to tell. The plant needs time to put out some non-deformed leaves.
Artchic528 wrote:oreophila is critically endangered and hard to come by. Thus, most places don't sell them.
In addition to that, it's quite ILLEGAL to sell them (outside state boundaries) without proper government permits. I doubt that the idiots in charge of the Lowe's CP operation even know what S. oreophila is.
By Morpheus
Those are almost always some type of rubra hybrid or rubra variety. Vigorous little things, kinda prone to rot though. I would recommend keeping it drier than most of your other sarracenia, particularly through dormancy

Also you're going to want to reposition the rhizome on top of the soil, you've buried it far too deep.
By Joy
I purchased this kit at the beginning of summer (~May) and mine seems to be a rubra as someone said earlier.

The first picture is soon after I got it and the second was taken this morning.
Attachments:
IMG_20150711_191945182.jpg
IMG_20150711_191945182.jpg (389.22 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
IMG_20150920_115215127.jpg
IMG_20150920_115215127.jpg (312.48 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
By Artchic528
Morpheus wrote:Those are almost always some type of rubra hybrid or rubra variety. Vigorous little things, kinda prone to rot though. I would recommend keeping it drier than most of your other sarracenia, particularly through dormancy

Also you're going to want to reposition the rhizome on top of the soil, you've buried it far too deep.
I am going to repot it in Spring, as that is when it will be the least stressed. I also have a flytrap rhizome tangled up in it as well, though you can't tell by the pictures. I know full well that this pot isn't near big enough for one of these guys, let alone two.

Is the rhizome okay at this depth until then?
By MichaelGuardian
Is that the kit that said 'bug biting plants' on it? I got that one too, planted the sarr in a bog container with other vfts and droseras, and now, it's actually doing really nice in the bog, it kinda looks like a rubra, but I'm not sure, I'll post a pic tomorrow, because right know, it's night and it's really dark, I can bring the container inside and take a pic, but I don't want bugs flying. Hopefully, my pic can help identify your sarr :D
By Anymal911
Morpheus wrote:Those are almost always some type of rubra hybrid or rubra variety. Vigorous little things, kinda prone to rot though. I would recommend keeping it drier than most of your other sarracenia, particularly through dormancy

It is definitely a S. rubra, I have one of those kits myself... I actually keep mine very wet, in a tray with the water table about a third up the pot (it is a small pot) (I will repot in the spring); but I always let the tray dry out before watering it. Whatever works for you I guess.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!