FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
so, I was wondering if any of my sundews will need a dormancy? I have D. Binata and a D. Alicea for sure. not sure what the other 2 are lol...I posted pics of them in the Sundew part of the forum...any advice?
By Mufasa
My binatas will typically go dormant during winter, they are tuberous (i think thats the right word), well either way, they will go dormant, and when they do, you can dig the roots up, and split them into new cuttings, not sure about alicea though.

edit: some (or most?) drosera don't go dormant at all.. i think it's the tropical ones that stay active year round.
By fattytuna
Drosera binata aren't tuberous, though they have thick, fleshy roots. Most types of D. binata respond to changing day lengths and will go dormant over winter. No need to chill it.

D. aliciae does not grow dormant and will grow year round.
By Earthy
So, I should just put them in the south window and let them go dormant if they want to?
By Mufasa
fattytuna wrote:Drosera binata aren't tuberous, though they have thick, fleshy roots. Most types of D. binata respond to changing day lengths and will go dormant over winter. No need to chill it.

D. aliciae does not grow dormant and will grow year round.
thanks, wasnt sure if it was the right term :geek: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
By MichaelGuardian
The drosera binata is temperate, so it requires dormancy, the aliciae is tropical, no dormancy required, and if you live in an area with cold winters, then you can just put the binata outside during the winter and let the plant get the natural dormancy.
By Earthy
If I put them outside during winter they would be forked Popsicles lol...freeze solid.
By MichaelGuardian
If they freeze, that's ok, last year, where I live (in Charlotte, North Carolina) it was snowing on my bog container full of vfts and sundews and sarrs, it was extreme weather and the plants were frozen, and when I touched the soil, it was frozen solid, but surprisingly, in spring, it came back :D
By fattytuna
Not sure if all D. binata varieties could survive being frozen. Some come from the mountains or south, so it does snow every year but a lot of the 'larger' populations are from coastal subtropical australia. It never snows at these regions.
By MichaelGuardian
Yeah, in my bog, I don't have binatas in it, only have intermedias and some sarrs and vfts, I don't know about binata. I also have a Drosera X Martson's Dragon, which is a cross between 2 binata varieties, I think it was d. Dichotoma and d. Binata multifida extrema, and I heard people say that it doesn't need dormancy, last year, I didn't give it dormancy and it's looking fine, I guess that hybrid just doesn't need dormancy.
By Puppetashley
Does drosera spatulata (I think it's spelled like that, I'm sorry lol) go into dormancy? I think I read somewhere that they don't, but I'm not sure..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
By MichaelGuardian
Puppetashley wrote:Does drosera spatulata (I think it's spelled like that, I'm sorry lol) go into dormancy? I think I read somewhere that they don't, but I'm not sure...
Spatulatas are tropical, meaning they don't need dormancy. Most rosetted sundews are tropical, examples are d. burmanii, d. spatulata, d. slackii. Pretty much, sundews that have spoon-shaped leaves are rosetted and tropical. But some exclusions are d. intermedia and d. capillaris
By Puppetashley
MichaelGuardian wrote:
Puppetashley wrote:Does drosera spatulata (I think it's spelled like that, I'm sorry lol) go into dormancy? I think I read somewhere that they don't, but I'm not sure...
Spatulatas are tropical, meaning they don't need dormancy. Most rosetted sundews are tropical, examples are d. burmanii, d. spatulata, d. slackii. Pretty much, sundews that have spoon-shaped leaves are rosetted and tropical. But some exclusions are d. intermedia and d. capillaris
Oh alright, makes sense, thank you! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Perlite from Ebay

do you guys have a recommended brand thats availab[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!