FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Tubmonkey
The pictures speak volumes.
These "Lance" are all the same age. The Top picture is the patient and the lower from the same root system.
ImageImage

Both of my standard Adelae have the same problem. The one at the top is much younger and from the lower plant.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do, I would appreciate the advise.
By Earthy
I know sundews like to be kept a little wetter than flytraps, but maybe you're keeping them too wet? I water mine with the tray method, but let it dry out for a few days and then water again with about 1/2" of water in the tray.
By Tubmonkey
Earthy wrote:I know sundews like to be kept a little wetter than flytraps, but maybe you're keeping them too wet? I water mine with the tray method, but let it dry out for a few days and then water again with about 1/2" of water in the tray.

I have been trying to let them "dry out" more than my other sundews. My best guess was rot from too much water or a problem with the soil.
By nimbulan
I've always had this trouble with Drosera adelae similar to this. I've found the plant to be extremely picky about light levels, yet burn easily with an extraordinarily long adjustment time. I've been told they do much better in LFS rather than peat so I just repotted mine. Hopefully it helps.
By Tubmonkey
nimbulan wrote:I've always had this trouble with Drosera adelae similar to this. I've found the plant to be extremely picky about light levels, yet burn easily with an extraordinarily long adjustment time. I've been told they do much better in LFS rather than peat so I just repotted mine. Hopefully it helps.
I will repot them tomorrow is LFS. Keep them on the outer edges of the light and somewhat drier.
Also, I want to try feeding them, but really do not take well to bloodworms at this point. I wanted to try crushed beta pellets in water.

Thanks for the pointers, I will try everything and see what happens in a few weeks.
By Cory
Peat/perlite is fine
Put it in a water tray

Your problem is humidity
It's not acclimated to the levels you are giving it.

It's desicated

I grow tons of adelae here. You will have to work hard to over water them.

The tray it's setting in is always filled to the top. The little ones poking out the bottom get completely submerged yet keep growing right along.

They are weeds in the right conditions
They will tolerate super bright light of humidity is high but not so much if it's low.

They can be grown in low humidity but it's a lot harder to cultivate than in high or moderate humidity

Cory liked this
By nimbulan
Yeah I wouldn't worry about overwatering the plant. I generally keep my water level higher than that and have never had any issues related to water level. The only way I was able to get mine to look healthy was to very slowly move it closer to my grow lights over the course of a month and then let it sit there for another month. My humidity stays around 50-60% most of the time.

The plant looked great since then, about 9 months ago, but this summer I ran out of rain water and used tap water for a while. My tap TDS is only 50 but had mineral build up in the adelae tray, far more than any of my other plants for some reason. I just bought a TDS meter recently as my adelae was starting to look unhappy, and measured 140 in its tray. I figured it was a good time to repot into LFS and I'm hoping it will do even better there since I've had quite a few people recommend it.
By SEWinans
Mine looked the same as yours a few weeks ago. I had basically given up on them. I repotted into LFS and now they're all dewy and flowering.

I have them sitting in water at all times.
By Tubmonkey
Currently they are at 80-82 degrees and 50-60% humidity. Higher at night. This was the reason I got a few of each plant. I knew I would have issue and trial and error is my best teacher.
It does not sound like anything terrible. I will be adding another level to my setup soon. Maybe I will play around with varying conditions.
I jumped right into this and am eager to learn.
Thank you so much!
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!