FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
maddcatone wrote:Hey all, I'm interested in growing a bog bowl of Dionaea Muscipula, and am interested in doing so with seed. If anyone should come into a fair amount of seed that they are not prepared to sow I would greatly appreciate them. I'm very interested in collecting different phenotypes and breeding them for their desirable traits. However, as I'm only fairly recently into this venture, my collection is small and not very diverse. Any seed is of interest. More diversity the better!
Hello maddcatone and welcome to the forum!

I'll keep you in mind next summer when I collect seed. I'll probably have a ton of seed, as I did this year. I'll send you some if I do. However, that won't be until July or August.
By Solarin
Hi Matt,

It seems like there is a lot of interest in VFT seed this year. Any thoughts about starting a seed bank? You and I have a ton of seed each year and I am sure that there are a few others in the same boat. (For example, I removed more than 80% of my flower stocks before they had time to flower. I still had thousands of seed). Plus, if you are starting to clone with seed it seems almost like a normal progression. I guess it would take commitment and time from the overseer handeling the seed bank.

Best regards,
Curtis
By lemonlily
I'm sure my plant will produce seeds soon so I'm not taking any seeds as I will make lot more plants I hope.
By Solarin
Hi Lily,

Starting plants from seed is a lot of fun. The unfortunate aspect of Venus flytraps is that it takes many years for seedlings to reach maturity, usually five years or more from the date of planting. If it is more and larger plants you wish in fairly short order then leaf cutting or leaf pulling are the way to go. I say this because I typically try to remove all the flower stocks before they reach flowering stage. Remember that it takes a lot of energy for plants to flower. This energy is diverted from trap growth. And if a plant is stressed from its growing environment, flowering can lead to even more stress for the plant. Even though my plants grow relatively stress free, I try to remove as many flower stalks as possible but this year, a few stocks escaped my detection. I typically say to new growers, just remove the flower stocks and enjoy more robust growth of the traps. But if its seed you want, enjoy this also.

Best regards,
Curtis
By lemonlily
Okay, then. I will just let grow and I might pull a leaf off it instead. It might be more interesting too, watching new leaves grow. I believe I have more than two plants in the pot and I really want to rip it out... I'm sure it'll kill it though. I'll wait.
By linton
I'd love to see a seed bank attached to this site as seed can be freely shipped in and out of most countries without breaking quarantine regulations.

Although the plants raised from seed can vary greatly from the parent plant(s) I think that it would be interesting to offer up seeds of different crosses for members to grow out.

A central seed bank may not be required, we could create a "seed bank" header in the board index and get members to post a message when they have excess seed.
By Pat
This is a great Idea linton. I always have some spare Drossera seed.
By Matt
I agree Linton. This is a great idea. I'll probably have some Drosera seed soon as well as some Dionaea seed this summer and I have some Sarracenia seed right now. I'm going to create another forum for this. If anyone can see a good reason to create a true seed bank I'd be willing to manage it, but I think just a forum where people can post when they have excess seed is a good idea.
By lemonlily
This is a great idea. My question is, how would this work?
By lemonlily
Matt wrote:Yes, this is surprising. No one wants to try growing some baby VFTs? It's usually quite hard to find free seed.
I sure would like seeds but... how? Seems complicated. I might leave it alone and buy some if possible.
By Pat
It would work like this lily-
A person would put up a post saying they have some spare seed to sell/trade
Someone would reply to this post saying they would like to buy/trade for it
the person would then PM the person interested asking for their adress
They would reply with this information
The perso would send the seed

This is how I think it would work
By lemonlily
Ok thanks.
By 10BUCK2
High, that is very curious about the cross pollenation. I too would like some of your seeds to try out. Very interested in what they will germinate into.

Phil
By WORMSS
First post Phil?
Welcome to the Forum

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

The guy who lived across from me has an electric f[…]

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!