FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By stitz25b
I dont spend much time but it depends what i doing.
If im just checking, i would say 5 minutes
If im repotting all my plants ready for the growing season then about 1-2 hours
I dont spend unnecessary time with them as they grow fine without you staring at it
stitz25b liked this
By Earthy
Usually 15-30 minutes in the morning. I move them from the protection of the nighttime greenhouse (so they don't get soaked or hailed on or eaten by curious wildlife who are nocturnal lol) to the table-top screen greenhouse I made (to protect them from curious rambunctious young cats who love to get up on the table and unpot them for fun. Oh and birds as well lol). If I see an issue, something that doesn't look right, or any that need trims then it might be longer...I check their moisture levels as well during this time. Then throughout the day it's just random glances to see how they are doing...especially if it's hot out. Make sure no one is drooping lol :)
Earthy, Earthy liked this
By iamjacksplants
Jds197 wrote:I'm currently trying to build a highland terrarium, so I spend alot of time watching the humidity and temperature. I also have alot of flytrap and drosera seedlings that I feed.
I too am building an enclosure. I would love to compare notes with you Jds197.

I'm currently spending 10+ hours a day doing something pertaining to my plants or their Dungeon home.

I have several projects going at the moment:
1. Primary grow area expansion.
2. Seedling/germination chamber.
3. Additional lower level chamber. Not sure yet if I'm gonna go "Ultra Highland" or dormancy on this one yet.
4. Completely automated cooling system for nighttime temp drops.
5. Moonlight experiment.
6. Little CRAPPIE aquarium I found at a yard sale for 3$
7. Completely automated water level and humidity monitoring and control system.
8. Central control unit that I can access via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so I can monitor and control watering, temperature, humidity and photoperiod remotely once I return to work and may have to be gone for a week+ at a time. :/
9. Research. Research. Research. Some reading. More research.

So yeah, 10 hours a day MINIMUM.. I've pulled several all-nighters when making any internal modifications as I wait until "lights out" to remove them so as not to disturb their photoperiod. I try to avoid any movement at all, but sometimes it simply cannot be avoided.

At the risk of laughter, and against my better judgement, here's the most recent picture. Just remember, it's a work in progress if there ever was one. Also, it's built on a disability budget, so it's mostly scavenged bits from what would otherwise be junk or trash. Believe it or not, this was a regular old coffee table just a little over two months ago. 7/14/15 marked it's slow transformation into this FrankenStrocity [yes, I just made that up] I call the Dungeon
9/17/15 2:24a.m. yes, I momentarily interrupted the photoperiod to bring you all the most recent ...photo. haha. ...Get it?
9/17/15 2:24a.m. yes, I momentarily interrupted the photoperiod to bring you all the most recent ...photo. haha. ...Get it?
IMG_20150917_0224151_rewind-42482249.jpg (789.07 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
"The author of this post may or may not be shuffling to automated pharmacy ...hello? Hello? ... I forgot my wallet." 8-)

Cheers,
-@.
iamjacksplants liked this
By senti
I spend most of my time around my 2 new little pitcher plants ... I like to chat to them and keep them company .. as they are new .. as time goes on i hope to spend less time with them .. it seems to be working as they still look great .. but have only had them for a few days. Image
senti liked this
By heathenpriest
Most days, I ignore my Flytraps unless they need watering, weeding, or dividing - or unless I'm cutting off seed pods or something. Same with my Purple Pitcher. They're all pretty self-sufficient. Other days, I spend a good bit of time either taking care of them or admiring them. Lately, I've gotten into Sundews, and since they're newer to me, I'm paying more attention to them to make sure I'm giving them what they need. They're also in shallower pots and water trays, so they need watering more often than the others.
heathenpriest liked this
By stephen777
Some days I spend no time, but probably the most I spend just looking at them would be about an hour, observing insects getting caught mainly... In winter though when I repot I sometimes spend like 5 hours every day for days on end repotting... the joys of having too many Sarrs lol
stephen777 liked this
By Mufasa
not sure... i enjoy just going outside and misting the plants a couple times a day, often i'll have some projects, or new things i'll wanna keep an eye on... like, newly divided stuff, new plants, seedlings, etc... might end up as like an hour a day if i'm just watering, and don't have to pot some stuff, or something like that
Mufasa liked this
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!