FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By PitcherPlanter
This is not really CP related, I apologize for that. I am looking for the seeds of various Cuscuta (Dodder) species native to the United States. Cuscuta is a parasitic vine that possesses little to no chlorophyll and as a result is dependent upon a host plant for nutrients. The vine is usually a red, orange, or yellow in color and possess small flowers that can be white, cream, pink, or yellow. Here is a photo:

It is imperative that they must be native the the United States to avoid the spread of non-native species. If you happen to have some seeds, I would like to see a picture of the mother plant to confirm its identity.
If you have some seeds, please PM so we can discuss the details.
By killerplants4realz
Man that is interesting that you want this plant but why? It is nicknamed strangle vine if that got out kiss almost all you CP collection or any tree or plants good bye;) The red form is cool looking but no way! How will you contain this parasitic plant? It transfers disease to other plants.I know that some night shades can do chemical warfare against it's parasitic nature. Post pictures if you do some kind of experimental stuff with it. I have had to eradicate this plant from a property before so I know what damage it does. Good luck!! Happy growing exception will be the vine;) Lol!!
By PitcherPlanter
I think I am interested in it because of how truly unique it is. I already have CPs which prey on insects and such, why not a collection that preys on other plants? I have been growing one species actually. It's very easy to contain in a pot and one just has to make sure they keep it properly isolated. Responsibly and diligence is key. I might create a thread next year so I can document the complete life cycle. It is very likely the species you dealt with was a non-native species. That is why I stressed that the seeds be native.
By MossWalker
killerplants4realz,

IIRC, Cuscuta doesn't normally indiscriminately parasitize. Normally, it has a preference for certain plants. I know at least some Cuscutas prefer nightshade related plants. I guess it might try to latch on to a CP like Nepenthes but I doubt it would reproduce very well with that. I haven't read about it transferring diseases. I guess it might if it gets a disease from one host and moves it to another. I remember reading an interesting science news article about horizontal gene transfer from a parasitic plant to a host.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!