FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
So it has been rather hot recently, had some days into the 90's (though it seems to finally be cooling down), and I was wondering if my D. slackii wasn't producing much dew due to heat stress. It has put out a couple new leaves since I got it about three weeks ago, and the leaves look pretty healthy. I grow it in full sun outdoors, since when I researched into its needs, I found that it lives around the same areas as D. capensis, which I grow in full sun outdoors and it is doing great.

My slackii also isn't very big, each plant is maybe an inch across. The most recent leaves seem to produce the most dew, is this because they are more mature leaves that are more heat resistant? Does it just need time to produce more leaves that will have more dew?

On a side note, the leaves had no dew on them when it arrived, most looked wilted and green-red. The deep red ones have all grown within the time I've had it, so during the past week/two weeks.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
By SerMuncherIV
Yup, heat stress. They should recover as the temperatures come down some, and the leaves should get larger as well. They're less tolerant of higher temperatures than D. capensis, which is why the capensis is producing dew where the D. slackii isn't. Higher humidity will help them cope with the heat. That moss looks pretty cooked; keep in mind that on a sunny day in the 90sF, the canopy temperature of the soil can easily exceed 100F.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!