FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nickrober
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

I came across this from a link in another forum and thought it was kind of crazy, but it works for the guy every season.

I will be forced to do a fridge dormancy this year, and at first I was going to do the method listed on this site which involves uprooting all the plants and not removing the leaves. However, this way seems like it might work well also.

They both have their ups and downs. I'll most likely repot in the spring when it's time to exit dormancy anyway, so uprooting before dormancy wouldn't be a big problem, but it seems like they would be happier to stay in the medium all winter. I don't really know. Plus, this guy doesn't use fungicide, get's mold lots of times, and the plants grow through it in the spring no problem.

Does anyone have experience with both these methods and can recommend the best method? Have you tried it this way Matt?

By the way, if your wondering what the other method is, Matt did a tutorial here.
By Matt
I've read Scottychaos' writeup on how he winters his plants before. I'm sure I read it right after I started growing my plants. I'd guess it's a slightly better way of doing dormancy than uprooting the plants and placing them in a tupperware container in the fridge. Of course for most people with a larger collection this isn't an option because they'll take up way too much space in the fridge. But if you just have a plant or two in some small pots, it would probably be better than the bare root method.
Nickrober wrote:Have you tried it this way Matt?
Luckily, I've not had to do a fridge dormancy at all and I don't think I ever will. Perhaps I'll experiment with it sometime just so I have some experience to share with other members. What I wrote above is just speculation based on what I know about growing these plants. It could be that the bare root method is safer because the risk of mold and fungal infections is lower.
Nickrober wrote:Plus, this guy doesn't use fungicide, get's mold lots of times, and the plants grow through it in the spring no problem.
I think the key here is timing when removing the plants from the fridge and the fact that the mold grows on the surface of the media and not on the rhizome. Once they are taken out of the fridge and placed in a place with good air movement and sunlight, the mold will quickly go away.
By Nickrober
I think I may try this method cutting all the leaves off. Still haven't decided what to do with my seedlings, leaning towards putting them into dormancy, but I think I will leave them in the pot and not cut their leaves. Or I may skip, I don't know...
By Matt
If you have a windowsill to put them in, that would probably be best even if the temperature doesn't get too cold. They'll still likely get a little sleep because of the shortened days and they won't be at risk of freezing to death.
By Nickrober
I'm in an apartment, and all my windows face East, where there is a lot of tree cover, so not much sunlight (which won't matter much for dormancy), but all of my windows have heat registers directly below them, so they will get the max amount of heat once winter comes and I have to turn the heat on.
By Amac
You could try putting them in a room over your garage if you have one In our house it's the coldest during winter. Or you could try leaving them on a windowsill in a room with a door, that you usually don't go into, and close the door and keep the window the plants are on open a little bit. :D
By Nickrober
Non of those options work for me Amac. I am in an apartment so I don't have a garage, and all rooms with windows face the same direction and have other people in them.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!