FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By iamjacksplants
:o :shock: WOW! Both your plants, and you photographic technique are simply stunning. Glamour shots is right! Thank you for posting these. I can't wait for my Moranensis to push some stalks. I'm afraid it won't be til next growing season tho, as it had a rather catastrophic shipping "incident" and arrived in about 12 pieces! :| It seems to be recovering tho.

Thanks again for all the lovely photographs!

Here's one of my ping slowly doing its thing, taken 8/19/15...it was only one leaf (the larger one on the outside) and the heart 7/29/15

Cheers,
-@.
Attachments:
IMG_20150818_2244497_rewind.jpg
IMG_20150818_2244497_rewind.jpg (944.38 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
By Earthy
how do you keep your pings from "burning up" in full sun? I know Primuliflora hates full sun (or so I've read and experienced) but how do the mexican pings do for hours at a time?
By KissMegan
iamjacksplants wrote::o :shock: WOW! Both your plants, and you photographic technique are simply stunning. Glamour shots is right! Thank you for posting these. I can't wait for my Moranensis to push some stalks. I'm afraid it won't be til next growing season tho, as it had a rather catastrophic shipping "incident" and arrived in about 12 pieces! :| It seems to be recovering tho.

Thanks again for all the lovely photographs!

Here's one of my ping slowly doing its thing, taken 8/19/15...it was only one leaf (the larger one on the outside) and the heart 7/29/15

Cheers,
-@.
Thank you :D pings are such a weird plant to ship, so if they're not packed well they really get it. Looks like yours is going to bounce back though :)
My moranensis flowered towards the end of their succulent phase :) might be when yours flowers too!
By KissMegan
Earthy wrote:how do you keep your pings from "burning up" in full sun? I know Primuliflora hates full sun (or so I've read and experienced) but how do the mexican pings do for hours at a time?
Hmm really? I have a friends primuliflora and asked them what they had it in and they said full sun, so now it's in my full sun and still doing well haha.
I'm not really sure though, I usually don't even acclimate the pings to full sun I just throw them out there and they do fine.
It's weird I hear a lot of people having a hard time with pings and they just don't give me a hard time for some reason.
I think it's about time someone does a test and grows doubles of different ping species in part sun and full sun and see which grows better ;) (will try this next grow season)
By KissMegan
Suppose I'll add a few more pictures
ImageImageImageImage
This is a fused tooth I just got from matt, has a double trap. Super cool :)
ImageImageImageImage

Oh and here is a b52 I'm babysitting for trevor and halia (wildwonderlass and dontsteponmyflora) ((I think that's their names on here))
I did some comparison pics to my Megatraps, it's a beast!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Okay no more spam of the awesome b52
ImageImageImageImageImage
KissMegan, KissMegan liked this
By Earthy
KissMegan wrote: Hmm really? I have a friends primuliflora and asked them what they had it in and they said full sun, so now it's in my full sun and still doing well haha.
I'm not really sure though, I usually don't even acclimate the pings to full sun I just throw them out there and they do fine.
It's weird I hear a lot of people having a hard time with pings and they just don't give me a hard time for some reason.
I think it's about time someone does a test and grows doubles of different ping species in part sun and full sun and see which grows better ;) (will try this next grow season)
yea, if my Primuliflora gets any full sun or is outside for an extended amount of time the leaves start going soft.once I bring it inside they stiffen back up...not sure what I'm doing wrong :-/
By KissMegan
Earthy wrote:
KissMegan wrote: Hmm really? I have a friends primuliflora and asked them what they had it in and they said full sun, so now it's in my full sun and still doing well haha.
yea, if my Primuliflora gets any full sun or is outside for an extended amount of time the leaves start going soft.once I bring it inside they stiffen back up...not sure what I'm doing wrong :-/
That's weird! Do you acclimate it or just put it straight to full sun?
By Earthy
KissMegan wrote: That's weird! Do you acclimate it or just put it straight to full sun?
ah...good point :-/ that's probably my problem...how should I acclimate them? is it the same way as flytraps? and what about the soft leaves? is that also from not acclimating them you think? sorry for all the questions lol...

and have you ever knocked a ping? I did that on accident today to my Esseriana while moving it; I think some of the new leaves emerging got mildly bruised (just the top part of the leaves turned dark green. the bases are fine). it landed grease-down then rolled upright *cringe*. my poor baby :( good thing these are resilient....except dang those tiny root systems :-/
By KissMegan
ah...good point :-/ that's probably my problem...how should I acclimate them? is it the same way as flytraps? and what about the soft leaves? is that also from not acclimating them you think? sorry for all the questions lol...

and have you ever knocked a ping? I did that on accident today to my Esseriana while moving it; I think some of the new leaves emerging got mildly bruised (just the top part of the leaves turned dark green. the bases are fine). it landed grease-down then rolled upright *cringe*. my poor baby :( good thing these are resilient....except dang those tiny root systems :-/
Yeah acclimating would be the same as anything else, give it a few hours of full sun a day then slowly give it more over the period of a few weeks.
Here's a picture of the one I'm babysitting (took this right now) Image
The leafs aren't like stiff hard but they're not soggy soft. It seems to be doing fine. Gonna keep a close eye on it for any changes in the next couple weeks

Oops forgot to add, the ping you dropped should be fine haha. It'll probably be mad for like a week and snap out of it
KissMegan liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!