FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By iamjacksplants
Hello everyone, I have a couple plugs of U. Sandersonii "blue". I'm very inexperienced and I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if these shoots in the photo are beginning flower stalks, or just normal growth. Thanks in advance.
-@.
IMG_20150811_2302585_rewind-39359522.jpg
IMG_20150811_2302585_rewind-39359522.jpg (213.33 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
By iamjacksplants
SerMuncherIV wrote:Appears to be spore capsules from the moss...I'm not sure that I can even see the Utricularia in there.
Hmmm...I'll have to upload a less zoomed in pic for ya, maybe that will help.
By iamjacksplants
SFLguy wrote:Yeah I don't see U. Sandersonii in there either :/
Hehe... ok guys, firstly thank you all for your responses. I'm only 2 days in to my membership here and I have received so much support, information and complements, it's really cool to be a part of such a good hearted community! Many thanks.

I apologize for the delay in posting pics and replies but I had some unexpected complications from surgery Monday and haven't time or energy to dig these guys out for some better angles.

I hope these shots clear things up for all of us.
Attachments:
These are what I've assumed were the spores of the mosses I have in my collection...
These are what I've assumed were the spores of the mosses I have in my collection...
IMG_20150813_1230070_rewind.jpg (824.21 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
By iamjacksplants
Leathal_Traps wrote:No sandersonii to be seen in that pic. I'm starting to think either he thinks the moss is the utricularia, or that the utric got chocked by the moss.
These are the rest of the pics as I can only upload one per reply.
Attachments:
Do we see it yet? If it's not U. Sandersonii...what is it?
Do we see it yet? If it's not U. Sandersonii...what is it?
IMG_20150813_1223110_rewind.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5968 times
By SFLguy
iamjacksplants wrote:
SFLguy wrote:Yeah I don't see U. Sandersonii in there either :/
Hehe... ok guys, firstly thank you all for your responses. I'm only 2 days in to my membership here and I have received so much support, information and complements, it's really cool to be a part of such a good hearted community! Many thanks.

I apologize for the delay in posting pics and replies but I had some unexpected complications from surgery Monday and haven't time or energy to dig these guys out for some better angles.

I hope these shots clear things up for all of us.
Unfortunately I don't see U. Sandersonii, but good news is your sphagnum it's releasing spores so you're giving it the right conditions, this is what u. Sandersonii leaves look like, U. Sandersonii "blue" are just a little different

(This is a picture of when I had just gotten the plug, couldn't find a newer picture)
Last edited by SFLguy on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By iamjacksplants
iamjacksplants wrote:
Leathal_Traps wrote:No sandersonii to be seen in that pic. I'm starting to think either he thinks the moss is the utricularia, or that the utric got chocked by the moss.
Another shot or my U. Sandersonii... uh. I mean moss.
Attachments:
Moss? U. Sandersonii?
Moss? U. Sandersonii?
IMG_20150813_1222420_rewind.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5967 times
By SFLguy
iamjacksplants wrote:
iamjacksplants wrote:
Another shot or my U. Sandersonii... uh. I mean moss.
Now there you've got some utrics
By SFLguy
Now the stalks you've got popping up are from the moss, Sandersonii "blue" is hard to convince to flower but I've heard that keeping the water level right at the level of the media can help induce flowering :)
By iamjacksplants
SFLguy wrote:Now the stalks you've got popping up are from the moss, Sandersonii "blue" is hard to convince to flower but I've heard that keeping the water level right at the level of the media can help induce flowering :)
SFLguy wrote:Now the stalks you've got popping up are from the moss, Sandersonii "blue" is hard to convince to flower but I've heard that keeping the water level right at the level of the media can help induce flowering :)
Ah!! Great! Whew! I was beginning to wonder if I'd been bamboozled but what has become my favorite grower to purchase from. Suddenly the "super reasonable prices" turned into rather pricey moss! =P

Ok, relief! I just received a plug of typical from the same cat yesterday. I push my luck with Sandersonii and divide it as soon as I get it as I've read that it's super hearty, and so far it seems to have worked out and induced rapid growth. In doing this I've sworn I've seen the tubes and bladders, so I thought I was losing my mind when so many of you guys saw only moss.

So, sorry for the confusion, I should have posted more complete pictures.

I keep the water level about half way up the media, but about a week ago I began flooding it twice a day as I read this could help induce the usually reluctant "blue" form to flower in one of Barry Rice's articles. It was a few days after this that the spores I've mistaken for flower stalks started sprouting up.

So cool, I DO have some Utrics and one more moss species I was under aware of?

Thanks again all of you for you comments and posts! Awesome!
-@.
By SFLguy
iamjacksplants wrote:
Ah!! Great! Whew! I was beginning to wonder if I'd been bamboozled but what has become my favorite grower to purchase from. Suddenly the "super reasonable prices" turned into rather pricey moss! =P

Ok, relief! I just received a plug of typical from the same cat yesterday. I push my luck with Sandersonii and divide it as soon as I get it as I've read that it's super hearty, and so far it seems to have worked out and induced rapid growth. In doing this I've sworn I've seen the tubes and bladders, so I thought I was losing my mind when so many of you guys saw only moss.

So, sorry for the confusion, I should have posted more complete pictures.

I keep the water level about half way up the media, but about a week ago I began flooding it twice a day as I read this could help induce the usually reluctant "blue" form to flower in one of Barry Rice's articles. It was a few days after this that the spores I've mistaken for flower stalks started sprouting up.

So cool, I DO have some Utrics and one more moss species I was under aware of?

-@.
With carnivores you'll end up getting tons of moss along with the actual plants you order, do you mind mentioning who you bought from, I'm always on the look for good prices ;)
By iamjacksplants
-@.[/quote]
With carnivores you'll end up getting tons of moss along with the actual plants you order, do you mind mentioning who you bought from, I'm always on the look for good prices ;)[/quote]

Absolutely! His name is Mars Simpson. I purchased the U. Sandersonii "blue" from him a few weeks after I received my VFT's from Joels Carnivorous plants through amazon. It was supposed to be one typical VFT for $12, but they sent five! So, You might want to look into them as well if you haven't already. I found Mars on eBay and did my first transaction that way. Since then we've just done business outside of eBay through email and PayPal. I have since received a Pingicula moranensis, Drosera Tokaiensis, and U. Sandersonii typical. All have arrived in excellent condition and larger than expected. Even though the ping fell apart in shipping,(postmans' fault, not Mars) it still looked much better and healthier than the ping I got from Cascade Carnivores...yes, even in pieces! And though it wasn't quite double the price at CC, the quality just wasn't there with my CC order and it took 3 weeks to get here. Which is a bummer cus they have an amazing selection and Ron West is super cool and friendly. I want to give them another chance, but I think I'm gonna hold off until it cools down a bit. Let him have a second shot when temps aren't 100+ during shipping.

So, I highly recommend Mars, however I have only dealt with two other growers, so maybe start out small to make sure. His eBay rating is 100% positive and he has beautiful plants from his common stock all the way up to his rare selections which regularly auction on eBay for over $30 to as much as $100+. I would recommend finding him there and looking at his offerings. If you have any trouble finding him on eBay, or would rather deal with him directly, pm me and I'll get you his contact info.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-@.
Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!