FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By italo.americano
Matt,

I also like Red Piranha but my favorite is Big Mouth. I really like the beautiful red purple inside the traps and a close second is Red Burgundy due to the nice Burgundy almost brown coloring of the entire plant.

Giovanni
By Matt
Giovanni,

Thanks for letting me know what your favorite culitvars are. Maybe I would like them as well if I actually some them in person or some good photos of them. I don't think I have ever seen a good photo of 'Red Burgundy'. You wouldn't happen to have any photos would you? I am looking for photos of both of those cultivars, 'Big Mouth' and 'Red Burgundy' to use here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-tr ... -list.html
and on the detailed pages of those cultivars.

If you have photos of them and you would be willing to let them be used on the site, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Matt
By italo.americano
Matt,

Another cultivar that I really like is "Dutch"

I've had it since July 2007 and it already has divided twice. For some reason this is a very hardy growing plant and out of all the VFTs I own, this one seems to grow the best.

Giovanni
By Carl
This is a hard one :? so many I like but I must admit I do like the Red Piranha but I think my best VFT is Wacky Trap just because it's so different.
By italo.americano
mlvc2002,

You are so lucky to have 'Wacky Traps'. I've had the hardest time finding it here in the U.S.A.
Is it true that it is a slow grower and do you apply any type of diluted fertilizer to the traps since it cannot trap any insects?

Giovanni
By Carl
Hi italo.americano,

Yes I’m lucky to have a ‘Wacky Trap’ but in Europe it may not be so hard to find, I know about 2 big growers who have these for sale.
At the moment I can’t confirm if it’s a slow grower as I have only had it for about 3 months and it's just coming out of dormancy.
I’ll keep you updated on it's rate of growth and if it can catch prey (I will not be using fertilizer)

Carl
By Matt
mlvc2002 wrote:This is a hard one :? so many I like but I must admit I do like the Red Piranha but I think my best VFT is Wacky Trap just because it's so different.
I'd too love to get my hands on 'Wacky Traps' someday. I need to move to Europe. Seems like most of the cultivars are easier to get a hold of there. Probably because most of them were originally bred there.

Congrats on owning it, mlvc2002! Please let us know how it does. Also, I'd be interested in seeing some photos of it if you get a chance.
By WORMSS
I quite like the look of Dionaea 'Clumping Cultivar', just a giant MASS of mouths :D..
but I would really like to grow a Dionaea 'B52' :D
I only seem to have GIANT insects in my bedroom like moths and really FAT flys which either the trap is too small for, or I am not sure the trap will actually close around the fat flys.
By WORMSS
I just hope that if I do get a 'B52' that it can create a seal with the flies I have here, they all seem like they have eaten Half a cow..
You know how Queen Bee's look, just Stupidly Bulbous and round, that is how all the flies seem to be around here.

But I have noticed that the smaller plant that is in the same pot as my main one had caught a tiny tiny fly the other day.. I was quite proud of it.

Its catching flies I cant even see :D
By Kayota
I really love B52 and Justina Davis the most. And typicals, of course... for some reason typical is my absolute favorite! :lol: Does anyone know where I can get Justina Davis? I do love the all green coloration.
By Matt
Kayota wrote:Does anyone know where I can get Justina Davis? I do love the all green coloration.
David Conner has a few 'Justina Davis' left. I highly recommend ordering from him. He is a very nice guy and his plants are in great health. Here's a link to his site:
http://connerscarnivores.com/store.html
By linton
Red Piranha has to be the nicest looking, best coloured cultivar and with those cute little "teeth" who could resist? I also like Fused Tooth and Sawtooth varieties and hope to add all three varieties to my collection soon.
By Matt
linton wrote:Red Piranha has to be the nicest looking, best coloured cultivar and with those cute little "teeth" who could resist? I also like Fused Tooth and Sawtooth varieties and hope to add all three varieties to my collection soon.
I too really like 'Sawtooth'. Mine gets that deep red coloration inside the traps and the fuzzy edge is visually appearing to me.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!