FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By chevyguy8893
I recently made a purchase from an Ohio based carnivorous plant supplier, Divide and Culture (owner's name is Jon), and thought I would write up a review. I bought two Heliamphora from them, a H. nutans "giant" and H. 'tequila', both of which were nice sizes with healthy root systems and not recent divisions. Jon does have a website, but does not have any plants listed there. I made contact with him through his facebook page, but there are other forms of contact listed on the website http://www.divideandculture.com/. I have noticed that they sell through eBay from time-to-time as well.

Customer service and response time was great (both before and after the sale of the plants), and Jon readily answered any questions I had along with providing photos of the exact plants he could sell me. Once everything was paid for the plants were shipped out promptly. If it weren't for the USPS errors (yes, multiple errors in shipping) they would have made it to me within a couple of days. That being said, the USPS took a week to get them to my post office where I requested they be held for pickup. Despite the plants being in the mail for a week, the plants looked exactly like the pictures provided. The packing was very thorough and kept the plants secure, and the box was well labeled "live plants" and "fragile". The plants themselves were also well wrapped (which can be seen below in the pictures). I even received a free plug of Utricularia calycifida. I should also mention, I opted for the plants to be shipped potted.

Overall my experience with them was wonderful and would gladly do business with them again. As I understand it, he does not have a large amount of plants available all the time, but it sounds like he is expanding. Anyway, here are the photos of the plants before and after repotting.

ImageHeliamphora Order by Adam B., on Flickr

They use a numbering system for marking where to start unwrapping the plant, which is actually convenient.
ImageHeliamphora Order by Adam B., on Flickr

Here they are completely unwrapped and prior to repotting. I didn't get a picture, but the top of the pots were covered with cut up filter pads (from what I could tell) and wrapped with saran wrap.
ImageHeliamphora nutans "giant" and H. 'tequila' by Adam B., on Flickr

Repotted, H. nutans "giant" on the right, and H. 'tequila' to the left. Note: that is not my grow area for them, but I cannot get proper photos of my plants under the LED grow light.
ImageHeliamphora nutans "giant" and H. 'tequila' Repotted by Adam B., on Flickr

Finally, a close-up of one of the H. nutans "giant" pitcher.
ImageHeliamphora nutans "giant" by Adam B., on Flickr
By Cory
They look fantastic
I have talked to them a few times but haven't made any purchases yet.
Thanks for the review
By chevyguy8893
Cory wrote:They look fantastic
I have talked to them a few times but haven't made any purchases yet.
Thanks for the review
Thanks, and you're welcome! They have some other Heliamphora that I would love to get, but I suppose they fall under the group that is reserved for eBay. Hopefully next spring I can drive to the orchid show that they setup at in Ohio since it wouldn't be all that bad of a drive.
By Cory
Yeah it's hard to compete with ebay as a buyer

I don't care much for ebay myself so it tend to avoid it
By Jds197
I've looked at these guys a few times, they're by far the closest carnivorous plant dealers near me. If I can avoid ebay I might see what they have to offer. Plants look good!
By chevyguy8893
Cory wrote:Yeah it's hard to compete with ebay as a buyer

I don't care much for ebay myself so it tend to avoid it
Agreed, prices tend to get driven up a bit too much for me.

I still use it from time-to-time for plants, but I am not very well networked within the hobby.
Jds197 wrote:I've looked at these guys a few times, they're by far the closest carnivorous plant dealers near me. If I can avoid ebay I might see what they have to offer. Plants look good!
From the list I got from him earlier, there were nice Heliamphora available :).
By katya_dog1
Lovely! And as always, the plants in the background look excellent as well.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!