FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
So I bought a "plug" of u.sandersonii. I grated some LFS until it was like sawdust and put it in a pot with drain holes inside another pot without holes. Filled it to about an inch below the plant with RO water. So the plug came today and I just planted the whole plug right in the middle. Was I suppose to split that thing up or loosen it at all? It was a tight wad of roots in what looks like peat.
Attachments:
Plug of u.sandersonii
Plug of u.sandersonii
IMG_20150729_175031-1.jpg (151.7 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
By David F
I assure you, you've done nothing wrong. Utricularia will naturally spread throughout that pot.
By w03
U. sandersonii is rather vigorous and should do ok in that. Many terrestrial Utricularia do better (to varying degrees) in peat mixes though.

Whether you split up the plug or not doesn't matter too much - Utricularia actually don't have any roots at all. The white root-like structures you're seeing are the stolons, which are modified stems. The "leaves" are modified stems too, and the real leaves are the traps. Both of these grow directly out of the stolons.

Since the plant is so decentralized, you can basically rip it up a lot and it will still grow as long as there's a decent amount of intact stolons.
w03 liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!