Where to buy legit Nep seeds?

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US
jadewuvchicken

Where to buy legit Nep seeds?

by jadewuvchicken » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:44 am

I just ordered carnivorous plant seeds from rareexoticseeds.com and found out about their bad reviews 2 1/2 weeks after I bought them. I heard that most of their carnivorous seeds are not viable. I'm thinking I can chance with the sundews since there's a bunch of seeds I sowed, but I was so bummed with the 10 n. truncata seeds I ordered. I have a feeling it might not grow, and I really really wanted a truncata :(

Any recommendations for viable nepenthes seeds?

Jds

Re: Where to buy legit Nep seeds?

by Jds » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:13 am

www.cz plants.com
www.bestcarnivorousplants.com
These are the best.
It's easy to grow Carnivorous plants if you don't stress them by unwanted excessive care :)
My grow list:
jds-s-small-growlist-t28476.html

The following users would like to thank Jds for this post
jadewuvchicken

SerMuncherIV
Super User

by SerMuncherIV » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Try to avoid buying Nepenthes seed from overseas, even if they're viable when purchased they most likely won't be when they arrive. Many of the eBay sellers operating from Malayasia, New Guinea, etc. probably wild collect their seeds, most of which are kept too long to remain viable. The best bet for Nepenthes seed is to get them from a friend or a giveaway. If you really want a N. truncata, I know that a few sellers have them available right now.

The following users would like to thank SerMuncherIV for this post
jadewuvchicken

katya_dog1
Super User

by katya_dog1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Jds wrote:http://www.cz plants.com
http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com
These are the best.

I wouldn't say that. Your best bet will always, always be a fellow hobbyist or a trusted store in the US. Buying from overseas nearly always turns up bad seeds, not necessarily because of the seller, but because they sit so long. Nep seeds are only viable for about 1 month, and after that, even with cold refrigeration, their viability decreases dramatically.
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

jadewuvchicken

by jadewuvchicken » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 pm

SerMuncherIV wrote:Try to avoid buying Nepenthes seed from overseas, even if they're viable when purchased they most likely won't be when they arrive. Many of the eBay sellers operating from Malayasia, New Guinea, etc. probably wild collect their seeds, most of which are kept too long to remain viable. The best bet for Nepenthes seed is to get them from a friend or a giveaway. If you really want a N. truncata, I know that a few sellers have them available right now.

Do you know any particular sellers that regularly restock truncata plants in the us? I've seen some from overseas but I don't want to charge extra money for phyto. I know some sellers that did sell truncatas but they don't always have it.

SerMuncherIV
Super User

by SerMuncherIV » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:50 pm

When I checked last week, Predatory Plants, Native Exotics, and California Carnivores all had different forms of N. truncata in stock. I'm not too sure about now, though.

The following users would like to thank SerMuncherIV for this post
jadewuvchicken

katya_dog1
Super User

by katya_dog1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:32 pm

NE is going through a product update; check back on Sunday when the store re-opens.
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

The following users would like to thank katya_dog1 for this post
jadewuvchicken

jadewuvchicken

by jadewuvchicken » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:39 am

katya_dog1 wrote:NE is going through a product update; check back on Sunday when the store re-opens.

Omg. I was able to order a truncata on Sunday! I'm getting a red flush truncata! Thank you so much letting me know. :D

katya_dog1
Super User

by katya_dog1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Glad I could help. :)

The following users would like to thank katya_dog1 for this post
jadewuvchicken

Return to Sales, Trades & Wants USA