FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tilelayer
Its been hot lately and the sun is also changing I have noticed. I am wondering if this is sunburn. These traps were very healthy now recently the sawtooth looks fried and the wacky had traps turning yellow and then black and you can easily pull em off the plant. I water a little everyday not too much just enough to keep the sphagnum moist. I noticed the cups are hot when i touch them. they get sun from about 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I do not leave in standing water because the directions that came with them said not to. I noticed alot of my traps have kind of stalled on the growing with the heat. Normal?
Attachments:
20150726_131040.jpg
20150726_131040.jpg (237.52 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
20150726_131035.jpg
20150726_131035.jpg (260.74 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
By Alex2893
they are sun burnt but there really is not much you can do now. all the new growth will be acclimated to the intense sun. also if its really hot out say 90 plus degrees, i soak my plants until the water poors out the bottom. the roots stay cooler i find. dont worry about root rot when its very hot and with all that sun which is almost 2 hours more then i give mine they will dry up fast enough so thats a non issue. if its in the50s and 60s with clouds for days on end then just barley moist is fine.
i see you live in Delaware co pa. i live in southern Montgomery co pa so not that far away. the next week will be 90 plus and i plan of soaking the crap out of my plants every morning. the last thing you want is the moss to dry out almost completely which will over heat the roots and the plant could burn very quickly which could kill the plant.
Alex2893 liked this
By Matt
They look pretty healthy to me. They're losing a few older traps, which is normal when they're repotted and stressed from the heat.

I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and try to keep them as cool as you can while still giving them full sun.

The amount you're watering looks and sounds perfect.
Matt liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!