FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By James
Someone got me a Nepenthes alata for Christmas but decided to give it to me early as its currently growing new pitchers!

I'll post a pic of it when I next can :)

Any tips for looking after these?
By Pat
Hi James, congradulations on the new plant. N.alata is a highland species on Napenthese, meaning that it comes from areas that are from 3,ooo to 10,000 feet above sea level. Thay requiretemperaturesin the 70's to low 80's with quite high humidity.
Hope this helps, Pat :D
By edwardyeeks
Nepenthes alata is a highland species, but may tolerate intermediate to lowland temperature. Daytime temperature for highland should be 22-27 C, while night time temperatures should be 13-18 C. Humidity should be high, especially at the night, where good air circulation is required. Most importantly, provide at least 10 C drop of temperature in the night compare to daytime temperature. Don't overwater it, unless the media has no sphagnum moss or peat moss.

However the good news is that since your nepenthes is alata, then highland condition won't be super neccesary if you can't provide them. It grows well in intermediate condition which is about 25-32 C in the day and 20-26 C in the night. Lowland condition is also tolerated, although for the best growth, highland condition is the best. Keep the humidity high, low humidity will mean no pitchers or hardly any pitchering.

It is an easy plant to grow compare to other highlander nepenthes. Do post pictures! :D ;)

Cheers
By James
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Edwardyeeks, the daytime temperatures sound fine for where I'm keeping it. In the spring and summer that is. Maintaining those temperatures will not be easy at other times of the year. The plant was in the 10cm range of plants at a shop. I'm not too sure about where it was from and such, but I'm told it had pitchers surrounding it when it was bought, and that they all died (bar one). It has a lot of new growth now so I'll be sure to get pictures as soon as I can ;)

The one pitcher it has now is about 10cm in length.

Is there anything else I should do to keep this alive?
By Carl
Congratulations on your new plant :) would love to see some pictures if you have time.

Carl
By edwardyeeks
Well.......providing it bright light but not full sun. Nepenthes tolerate richer soil much more better compare to other carnivorous plants. You can water tap water and the plant will be fine. Although you better don't, cause it will affect the plant long term.

How cold is your area in the other times of the year? Alata is quite a cold tolerating nep.

Cheers
By James
Here is a really good weather link for Wellington where I live http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=wellington
Hourly Observation

at 10 am Fri 12 December
Kelburn AWS
Temperature: 15 °C
Wind Speed: 19 km/h
Wind Direction: N
Rainfall (last hr): 0.0 mm
Humidity: 88 %
Pressure: 1004 hPa
It's supposed to get up to 19 degrees C today. I keep my plants inside, around this house is like a wind tunnel and they would surely get beaten up a lot, but it also gets quite cold at night. Not so much now in the spring, but I live 3.4Km up a hill so the temperature is quite often different from what you see forcasted ;)

They do get a lot of light but not too much, sometimes if its been incredibly rainy I'll put them under a fluorescent light bulb for a few hours.

I can do the higher temperatures quite well, having lot of computers in my room ;) But I do let my room cool down rather dramatically at night.

I do however.. water all my plants with tap water...
By edwardyeeks
Me thinks that will be no problem....... :D do share pictures

Cheers
By Solarin
Merry Christmas James,

What a marvelous plant. It is one of my favorites. I keep my N. alata "spotted" out doors all year round. I bring it in to the garage when we have freezing overnight temperatures. Living in northern California the weather is quit gentle. I usually keep the plant hanging on the north side of the house under the roof eves. It never sees more than an hour or two of direct sunlight in the morning and seems to like it where its at. This plant needs to be hardened off to its location and once its comfortable it will send out many pitchers. It likes watering once in the evening and to be fertilized once every two weeks. It catches a lot of bugs and is just beautiful to look at. One of the few plants that takes care of me as much as I take care of it. Enjoy your plant. Is should be very fun to watch over the next few months. Eventually it will send out many stems to propagate from. Read up on this or we can give you some tips. Enjoy your gift.

Best regards,
Curtis

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!