FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
It is impossible to say. Do you mean oldest in cultivation, or oldest ever? Flytraps grow and divide infinitely, so I don't think it's possible to know. You can't really base it on random YouTube videos either, as a flytrap in good conditions will grow extraordinarily fast and will fill up a pot in no time at all.

As to the largest CP species, that would definitely be Nepenthes. They grow to gigantic size as they are vines.
By evenwind
BZ1955 has been in continuous cultivation for 60 years, so that would be a number to beat.
By katya_dog1
evenwind wrote:BZ1955 has been in continuous cultivation for 60 years, so that would be a number to beat.

Continuous CULTIVATION, but is it the "oldest flytrap in the world"? Certainly, if Bob Zeimer still has the original plant, then that's legit as the oldest plant in cultivation (assuming there is not someone who can actually prove that they have an original plant that is older), but the oldest plant ever? Who knows?
By evenwind
But how you you differentiate between a plant and it's clone? Or, if you prefer, a rhizome and a piece of the rhizome that broke off? Is it two plants or one? How do you draw a line? I sure don't know.

I came across this about the "oldest plant in the world":
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... tself.html
By katya_dog1
evenwind wrote:But how you you differentiate between a plant and it's clone? Or, if you prefer, a rhizome and a piece of the rhizome that broke off? Is it two plants or one? How do you draw a line? I sure don't know.

I came across this about the "oldest plant in the world":
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... tself.html
Good questions. :) I don't know.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!