FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Kbud
Hi everyone!

Around this time of year in upstate NY, the population of the invasive Japanese beetle explodes! They destroy leaves and can really harm a lot of the plants we have growing naturally around here. Thus, it was with great delight that I fed two of them to my Sarracenia purpurea today. The quickly drowned, the plant has food, and my raspberry bush is safe. I chose the purpurea because I knew it would kill the beetles relatively quickly, without them chewing through the leaf. So far so good!

Have any of you guys ever fed the little pests to your plants? How did the plants respond? Were they digested?

Surely I can't be the only one looking at the beetles as plant food!
By Jellybean1
My house is infested with spiders,common house spiders..I gave one of my flytraps one spider and they seemed to love it!It is currently being digested and its still green.
By SerMuncherIV
My S. purpurea always fill up with Japanese beetles this time of year, not that I make sure of that or anything, hehe... :lol: I avoid feeding my upright Sarracenia the stupid things because they're so fat and they clog the pitchers, and their exoskeletons are too hard for the VFTs and all my large Drosera except the D. dichotoma 'Giant' - that thing is a monster, I swear.
By sbrooks
They're very aggressive little beasts; I picked one up by the leg with some tweezers in an attempt to feed a DC XL, and the little bugger broke loose, circled around, and headed straight for my face. I'm surprised that they don't chew through the pitchers; I though that they had fairly strong mandibles.
By katya_dog1
Dionae wrote:Yup...especially if it comes in a spray bottle and its nickname is spectracide.
That's it. Hate Japanese beetles. They eat everything desirable.

I kill them every chance I get.
By yellowjacket7
Kbud wrote: Surely I can't be the only one looking at the beetles as plant food!
The guy sure looks like plant food to me! The guy sure looks like plant food to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!