FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Eyrah
Hi guys, just a strange observation if anyone else has had bees attracted to their LFSM? I'm just a little intrigued because every day there's at least 4-5 bees hanging around on the moist Sphagnum moss. Maybe they like the moisture? Idk I just found it funny because all my other plants are potted in pearlite/peat and they want nothing to do with them. They don't know how close they are to being trapped and killed lol! Here's some pictures of the invaders.

By Eric
That's pretty cute. :D Maybe they're just thirsty.
By SerMuncherIV
I used to see this a lot, but in recent years I've noticed that the local bee population has started to decline (there's no way it could be pesticides, right? :x ) Occasionally, being the cute yet clumsy things that they are, bumblebees would slip and fall into the water trays. I fished them out if they were still alive, but if they weren't...well, my S. purpurea certainly didn't complain.
By Leo756
Yeah, most insects will go to any source of standing water or wet soil to drink, especially if your weather's been dry. I don't use the tray method anymore since our weather has turned so cool and rainy over the summers the last couple years. I also read somewhere one time that you shouldn't keep VFTs standing in water if you're using LFS because it soaks up water like a sponge and they'll stay too wet and rot. That's what happened to my plants last summer when I still had them in peat and sand, so I'm really glad I switched. I also don't have to bother with using mosquito dunks anymore either. That's the worst kind of insect that's attracted to water!
By Eyrah
woah my pictures are sideways?! haha I was on my iphone when I posted and they are upright on there. WTH. And Leo I completely agree, im from south jersey and yes the mosquitoes are TERRIBLE if there's any standing water left laying around. Fortunately, San Diego docent have that problem!
N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!