FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FlytrapTamer
I came back to a wilted, black-tinged plant that she most certainly did NOT water while I was gone. I quickly gave Maria Von Trap some distilled water and it perked back up in a few hours. However, as you can see, she's still looking unhappy. The trap that she caught a spider in also is still closed after almost a month.

I'm not sure what to do. I know you can cut off black traps, but these are only tinged black, so what can I do? She gets a lot of sun and I use distilled water, but her biggest traps are now sad-looking and no longer functioning. Any suggestions?
Poor Maria...
Poor Maria...
IMG_1849.JPG (380 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Attachments:
Where Maria Von Trap lives, for reference
Where Maria Von Trap lives, for reference
maria.JPG (44.95 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Trap that caught a spider May 29th
Trap that caught a spider May 29th
IMG_1852.JPG (376.19 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Close-up of black trap.
Close-up of black trap.
IMG_1850.JPG (440.4 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
By Alex2893
first thing i noticed is how low in the pot you have the plant. i would have the rhizome at a level just below the top lip of the pot. but thats not whats causing it to wilt but i do recommend raising the plant and adding more soil, the roots will grow long and straight down so it would give the roots more room to grow. but don't do it now. its not healthy enough to re pot. it actually seems like it was given hard water and maybe has mineral burn. but maybe thats also a sign of dry soil.
Alex2893 liked this
By FlytrapTamer
Alex2893 wrote:first thing i noticed is how low in the pot you have the plant. i would have the rhizome at a level just below the top lip of the pot. but thats not whats causing it to wilt but i do recommend raising the plant and adding more soil, the roots will grow long and straight down so it would give the roots more room to grow. but don't do it now. its not healthy enough to re pot. it actually seems like it was given hard water and maybe has mineral burn. but maybe thats also a sign of dry soil.
Yes, I think it's just dry soil. I have a big jug of distilled water near the windowsill and made it pretty clear to her that she only use that kind of water. I was gone for only a week, but it HAS been hot as Hades here (like...over 100F on some days), so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

And thank you for the potting advice! I've been planning to relocate it at some point because it's still in the container I bought it in. I'll make sure that it's higher up/has more soil if it lives through this.

EDIT: Didn't mean to send this to you as a PM. <_>
By Alex2893
These things are super hearty. It will come back with might !!!
Just keep the soil moist and if the temp gets above 90 degrees give it shade during the hottest part of the day. If it was me id just repot it now and it will be fine. Might shock it for a week or two but it will grow like crazy after that. i got a sick unhealthy typical from home depot 2 months ago with 2 green leafs 3 dead leafs and now it has about 20 medium size very healthy traps.
By Dematerialize
Ah, that sucks! Well, at least it looks in an ok state even through it went through all that torture. It'll be back in good health in no time.

Like Alex said, maybe add more media into the pot or simply pick up the whole contents of the pot and put them in a larger one, simply dropping the VFT with the media still surrounding its roots in there. That way it won't suffer shock and it'll have a lot of extra media that retains moisture and keeps it happy and well. That is what I did with some of mine a while ago:

They were later repotted into a bigger container. You can kinda see the old media around some of the plants. They just kept on growing like nothing happened. Good luck! :D
By katya_dog1
Good answers up there, just thought I'd add-- Since you live in Chapel Hill, even with these really hot temps we're getting I'd still recommend putting that plant outside in full sun (acclimation needed first of course-- read about that here http://www.flytrapcare.com/hardening-of ... -fly-traps
By SerMuncherIV
I doubt the ability of any windowsill to provide the adequate amount of light for Dionaea. (Especially if that orchid cactus and your jade plant are doing well there - those guys HATE direct light!) Keep it outside if that's possible, Venus flytraps are native to your state - there's very little excuse not to.
By Alex2893
this is what my home depot plant looked like when i got it on may 5th

Image20150505_230000 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

This is what it looks like today.

Image20150622_220240 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

another really bad home depot plant on may 13th
Image20150513_090903 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

and today it look like this

Image20150622_220249 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

if a plant that bad can turn around yours will even faster :)
Alex2893 liked this

^^^^ N. boschiana "BE 3643" x sanguinea […]

please and thank you :D Sent from my SM-S918U usi[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!