FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By B-money
Went to local steins looking to buy a drosera and some lfsm, struck out on both but I strolled through the gift area to look at their vfts. All were looking robust despite being in tiny pots indoors etc. 1 of em caught my eye because I thought there was a good chance it might be 2 plants.

What do you know, I was right! Woot! I took a closer pic of the larger of the two plants, should I be worried about that black area on the rhizome? There was 2 dead leafs with traps growing out of the black area, I trimmed them off. There is a long root coming off the black portion which appeared to be ok so I left it as is. Your input is appreciated!
Attachments:
Might be hard to see details of the black patch
Might be hard to see details of the black patch
image.jpg (526.44 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
By B-money
I was asking if that black patch was rot or something I should have removed and discarded.

The other plant looks good, got a little shocked from repot but starting to perk up.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (471.79 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
By tilelayer
The black is an older trap that died, flytraps die and they clone and split all the time. The black probably an older trap that flowered and then died off. you can peel it off if your careful but you may shock the plant, but you already have.
tilelayer liked this
By B-money
I didn't want to have to uproot the plant again in order to peel that black spot off unless it was rot and would kill the plant. Plant seems to be bouncing back, traps opening, good color. Trap closed nicely yesterday when I was feeding. Hopefully all is well, thanks!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!