FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By malika621
First off, I have just recently noticed white spots on two if my pitcher plants. The bug is in this picture... Is that a mealy bug? And, if so, then what do you recommend to get rid of it? I've read of BAYER, but the only kind I can find is two in one or stuff with fertilizer. Would the insect, disease, and mite control ready to spray stuff work as well? I also read of Orthene... But is that the ant killer Orthene? I cant find anything else. . .

And is this black moldy stuff harmless?

Finally, I found some wacky growth on two venus flytraps. Is this normal? Or should I be worried...? Beslcause I'm worried...

Last edited by malika621 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By malika621
All right, thank you! I think I will be on the safe side and just spray everything. Better safe than sorry.
By Matt
I would recommend acephate over orthenex. Orthenex tended to burn the leaves of our flytraps when I used it. Acephate 75, which is the same active ingredient in orthenex, doesn't have any negative effects on flytraps and kills pretty much everything other than mites.
Matt liked this
By dykotah
The white things kinda reassemble scale. I'd use neem oil, spray the rest of your plants too. That way you can prevent any future pests. The mold is sooty mold and it only grows around nectar. It's not harmful to the plant, but can be an indicator of pest. Your flytraps will grow strange traps from time to time, but again be on the look out for pest.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
dykotah liked this
By tommyr
In the first pic they look like mealy bugs.
tommyr liked this

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!