FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Mattfarrar19
I have been researching cool and easy CP's to grow and I haven't quite gotten help from any website. I was wondering if someone would throw out a few cool, big, and easy to grow carnivorous plants that I could order. Thanks.
By Jds
1.MEXICAN BUTTERWORTS
a)Pinguicula cyclosecta
b)P.esseriana
c)P.weiser
d)P.kondoi

2.NEPENTHES
a)N.rafflesiana
b)N.bicalcarata
c)N.rajah

3.VENUS FLYTRAP
a)dente
b)big mouth
c)maroon monster

4.Utricularia
a)U.graminifolia
b)U.vulgaris
c)U.gibba
d)U.aurea

5.Waterwheel plant(Aldrovanda vesiculosa)

6.Heliamphora
a)H.heterodoxa
b)H.nutans
c)H.minor
Jds liked this
By Daniel_G
Some of the easiest to grow and pretty cool Drosera are pygmies, such a D. scorpioides, some which are a bit larger are sup tropicals, like D. binata and capensis.

N. rajah is a pretty demanding plant indeed. Much easier are beginners Nepenthes like alata, ventricosa and x ventrata.
If you're up for the challenge of growing highlanders and ultra highlanders, why not check out N. villosa and hamata. Another challenging yet large plant is Drosophyllum lusitanicum. I didn't find it too difficult after germination though.
Sarracenia and Darlingtonia can both get too a decent size, and in my opinion are very cool!
By w03
As a fan of utrics and genlisea, this is super biased! ;)
Utrics
In terms of utrics, really only the epiphytic ones (and maybe and a few aquatics + longifolia) would be considered big.
U. alpina - it really looks like an orchid and has big, snowy-white flowers. Easiest of the epiphytic utrics and should do fine as long as you keep it relatively cool.
U. pubescens - super easy terrestrial. Nice bullseye-pattern flowers and peltate leaves - but it's quite small.
U. nelumbifolia - can be tricky, but has gigantic lily-pad like peltate leaves. Really nice species. Also somewhat of a cool-grower, like other epiphytics.
U. longifolia - really vigorous and easy. As the name implies, forms really big leaves. Deep purple, orchid-like flowers.
U. sandersonii - the classic. Cute carpets of little wedge-shaped leaves and endearing flowers that look like bunnies.

Drosera
D. burmannii - weedy and easy - the tentacle movement is fast enough to be visible real-time!
D. spiralis - cool growing species, but quite easy. Forms big rosettes of very long, skinny leaves.
D. binata - a classic. Very colorful, dewy forked leaves and super easy to grow. Some types get quite huge.

Pinguicula
P. gigantea - gets huge as the name implies. The leaves are also sticky on both sides.
P. laueana - spectacular, crimson-red flowers.
P. primuliflora - pretty, bluish flowers with yellow centers.

Genlisea
any of the commonly available ones should be easy, and they have very interesting traps that you can see if you set it up right. G. hispidula is the easiest.

Nepenthes (suggestion, as I don't actually grow these :p )
N. veitchii - gigantic flared peristomes, a really spectacular species that (I've heard) is quite tolerant of many conditions.
By nimbulan
Everyone needs a Drosera capensis. Drosera binata forms will also get quite large and showy. Drosera filiformis is another good larger species. Sarracenia are always a good choice, especially S. flava crosses if you want larger plants.
By katya_dog1
I'd recommend

Venus Flytraps
1) FTS Maroon Monster
2)Jaws
3)King Henry

Sarracenia
1)Reptilian Rose
2) Your favorite simple hybrid (e.g. Leuco x Flava, or moorei)
3)Judith Hindle

Drosera
1)Capensis
2)Filiformis

That's it! these are my favorite mid-priced plants so far. They are all vigorous, hard to kill, showy, and easy to grow.

If you want more expensive plants, I'd recommend some of the higher-end mooreis like Leah Wilkerson.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!