FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Cleo_13
It really makes no sense to me- how could poaching be profitable enough to take that many when there's so many in cultivation already that you can get perfectly legally? Lack of strict penalties probably had something to do with it- it's good that it's been made a felony now. I'm glad these were saved. Good job!
Cleo_13 liked this
By evenwind
Excellent!
By rayneger
if they're typicals, i dont honestly care if they are in the wild or not. I don't see harm in taking venus fly traps from the wild...... fite me m80 if u wanna on this, dont care tho. ;-;
By Cleo_13
They're endangered, and so is the habitat they live in. Going in and digging up rare plants is helping to devastate habitats worldwide, and leads to the extinction of species that will never return. That's the main reason poaching is very very wrong.
By SFLguy
... the typicals are the ones you want to preserve out there, these aren't the typicals you see in stores although I'm sure the genetics come from these wild plants, these are plants that have been there for a long time (genetically speaking) that are getting closer to the edge of extinction, so taking them out of that environment when there's so much already in cultivation is honestly unacceptable at this point, and that whole "one plant won't hurt" only works when one plant is taken but when hundreds of people think the same way, we end up losing a species
By rayneger
i knew i was gonna get hammered. But.... i can say that venus flytraps wont become extinct forever because to many are in propogation for sale. As well i know that there are many rare forms of cultivars out there, but im not gonna go crazy over saving a few poached plants. Again this doesn't mean what they did isn't wrong,but one plant mentality could destroy the species, but highly unlikely.
By Cleo_13
No matter how many are in propagation, it is still a major tragedy to have a species disappear in the wild, and we should be doing everything possible to prevent that from occurring.
By SundewWolf
It must be really annoying to try and restore an environment only to have people dig up the vfts. There probably are some very nice wild forms that it would be awful to loose due to careless poaching and distribution. But at least they are in cultivation. Some species are very hard to keep alive in captivity, so eventually there's no way to return anything to the wild.
By rayneger
ok. First off, I think we should, but it's not a big deal if they take a few.
i'm not gonna slam them down with angry comments. I promise u 2 years in prison will teach those guys not to poach. But im saying if i'm out and i see a bog that has sarracenia in them, i can take a few cus they're not endangered. But i do agree that it's pretty wrong to take vft's. If it were like a bunch of flava's no one would care. Plus most sellers think its wrong to take anything. It steals their sales!!!!!!! XD where did you think they came from when we started them in cultivation. You think that a bird crapped out the seeds into a pot to let them grow.... come on we had to take them from the wild to make more. If you have experienced growers like me or others who know what they're doing, and can breed the two together to make hybrids, i don't care.
By Morpheus
You obviously have a very skewed moral code rayneger. Removing any plant material from the wild whether endangered or not is wrong. For all you know, the particular plant you removed could've held genes that no other specimen in that locality had. They did get started in cultivation from someone collecting from the wild but does that still make wild collection right? Plus lot of the more knowledgeable growers in the hobby who did collect specimens from the wild only took divisions or a few seeds from a location or plant. that way the original genetic diversity could remain.

Edit: I apologize for sounding so attacking, and if this post is considered offensive let it be removed
Morpheus, Morpheus, Morpheus liked this
By Matt
I've got a feeling we have a troll on our hands. Rayneger is definitely posting in a way that seems (to me at least) to be intended to incite anger.

I'm glad that everyone has posted in a respectful manner so far. Please keep it that way!
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!