FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By meizzwang
Gosh! I grew out a pretty large seed batch of S. flava var. cuprea Lois x best clone, and out of hundreds of seedlings, pretty much most of them were gold! A few were standout: one clone turned solid red under optimal conditions, and this clone below, despite having all the leaves chopped off to the ground, colored up like I've never seen before!

The entire body seems to be coppery and the color on the lid is dark and well defined. Anyhow, has anyone ever seen a S. flava var. cuprea like this before?

Photos taken 4/1/15:

Look at that color on the lid!
meizzwang liked this
By katya_dog1
I generally am not impressed by the copper colored cuprea clones, but that is an exception! Beautiful plant!
By meizzwang
Thanks Everyone!

Eric-I have S. Waccamaw, that's the only verified Carolina atropurpurea that I know of that is in cultivation. Could be more....
By katya_dog1
Mike, how fast does Waccamaw grow, and when might you offer it?
By Bristol
What's up Mike.....................that is a very nice Flava Cuprea, if it remained colored like that, that's pretty rare and would be nice to have. I have a set that only some tubes where fully colored-up upon ballooning. But it was only like that for four days then faded..............darn..

What plant is Wacawacamaw?
Attachments:
S. Flava Cuprea Family
S. Flava Cuprea Family
2014_04_20 My CP Plants (28) sm.jpg (562.53 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
By cbennett4041
Bristol wrote:What's up Mike.....................that is a very nice Flava Cuprea, if it remained colored like that, that's pretty rare and would be nice to have. I have a set that only some tubes where fully colored-up upon ballooning. But it was only like that for four days then faded..............darn..

What plant is Wacawacamaw?
FREAKIN AMAZING.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Sp ... l#waccamaw
By katya_dog1
What I want to know is how those colors work outside of greenhouse conditions. Seems that every good characteristic in a plant is brought out superbly in a greenhouse, but sometimes is just 'meh' outside. Of course, I don't know if that's the case here. I just remember reading that Waccamaw's color is greatly influenced by it's greenhouse conditions.

Of course, for breeding I'm sure it would be AWESOME. What would be ideal is that you would get that lovely color but in a plant that retains it even in less-than-optimal counditions. I bet Waccamaw would make some STUNNING mooreis.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!