FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
I've started this thread to keep track of this year's VFT cross pollinations. I will also post pics of the seed growns I get.

This is the first "serious" time I'll be doing cross pollinations. (Last year only a typical and a trichterfalle flowered for me). I "mixed in" some warmer range lighting to help with the flowering. Last year I didn't even have any indoor lighting lol.

Here's what I have flowering:
Triton
Trichterfalle
Dentate
Clayton's Red sunset
King Henry
Fuzzy tooth
MD Buttcheeks (first time they're flowering so I'm looking to see if the flower is deformed/viable or not)
MD 01
MD 02
MD 04
MD 05
(links to threads with photos of the MD # varieties can be found in my growlist)

Any cool crosses you guys can think of?

Not everything is flowering at the same time, and I'm collecting pollen, but "vice versa" pollination wont be possible in a few plants. I hoped more red cultivars would make flowers this year, as I wanted to cross Red varieties and some "weirdo" cultivars. The red ones still might surprise me with flowers in a few weeks.

The first crosses that came to mind are Trichterfalle x triton, pollination everything else with triton pollen, Clayton's red x fuzzy tooth, Clayton's red x MD01 or 05, Buttcheeks x Fuzzy tooth, Buttcheeks x King henry.

(p.s. "mother x father" - just so I can keep the crosses strait)

Notes on flower markings:
Triton- All flowers selfed
MD01- Red thread = MD01 x Triton
MD04- Black thread = MD04 x Triton
MD04- Red Thread= MD04 x Trichterfalle
MD05- Green thread = MD05 x Trichterfalle
Trichterfalle- Pink thread = Trichterfalle x Triton
Trichterfalle- Green thread= Trichterfalle x MD05
Attachments:
DSCN4010.JPG
DSCN4010.JPG (929.78 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
DSCN4002.JPG
DSCN4002.JPG (781.45 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
Last edited by SundewWolf on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
By katya_dog1
Great ideas all. I would recommend a big and a weirdo, and of course the ever-elusive all red vigorous weird one that somehow has not happened yet.

Hey, can we trade some pollen? I have a Maroon monster and Jaws flowering (or beginning to) and would like to do some weirdo-red crosses. I can send you Maroon monster pollen, and you send me some weirdo pollen, we both win.

Let me know if you would be interested! I also have FTS Etna and fine tooth x Red if you would perhaps be interested in those. I will start my own thread so I can keep track as well, just wanted to ask here. :)
By SundewWolf
pm'd

Yeah I've got two vigorous typicals. The giant flowerstalk in the center is MD01. (and I also have a "vigorous" lol).
MD05 is vigorous too.

If I remember correctly, the mother plant gives more characteristics to the seedlings, so hopefully I can do a true cross (exchange pollen on both- vice versa..I'm sure there has to be a term for this) between a red and a vigorous typical, to see if both can get red seedlings. (someone correct me if I'm wrong lol)
By Eric Millikin
SundewWolf wrote:The first crosses that came to mind are Trichterfalle x triton, pollination everything else with triton pollen, Clayton's red x fuzzy tooth, Clayton's red x MD01 or 05, Buttcheeks x Fuzzy tooth, Buttcheeks x King henry.
Since you're about the only one with Buttcheeks, I'd suggest focusing on that?

I'm really looking forward to Fuzzy Buttcheeks, King Henry's Buttcheeks, Clayton's Red Buttcheeks, etc.
By SundewWolf
"Clayton's Red Buttcheeks" lol, I hope this cross happens. And I hope whoever Clayton is doesn't mind haha.

I traded two buttcheeks this year, so eventually it will be more available. I'm working on more divisions myself, and might have another at the end of the summer. It's a pretty vigorous and rapid divider.
SundewWolf liked this
By katya_dog1
SundewWolf wrote:"Clayton's Red Buttcheeks" lol, I hope this cross happens. And I hope whoever Clayton is doesn't mind haha.

I traded two buttcheeks this year, so eventually it will be more available. I'm working on more divisions myself, and might have another at the end of the summer. It's a pretty vigorous and rapid divider.

Too bad it can't be fed easily, that would help a lot.
By katya_dog1
Yeah, might be worth taking a test div and spraying it with like 1/4 strength MaxSea. If it's okay for young Sarracenia seedlings, it might be okay for the VFTs, however VFTs are not as tough as Sarracenia.
By katya_dog1
Yeah, you have to flush the soil, I believe. It's the mineral buildup that hurts them. Orchid fert might work, but whatever happens it needs to be diluted a lot for first time.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!