Tropical, temperate sundews sowed together

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here
Drone232

Tropical, temperate sundews sowed together

by Drone232 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 pm

I accidentally did this. I have nothing against my sundews clumping, so I have gotten into the habit of just sowing around 50 seeds in the same container at a time. I recently purchased my first ever temperate sundew seeds (Drosera Rotundifolia) and only later realized that sowing them with Drosera Burmannii a few days ago was not a good idea. I was used to sowing tropicals together and forgot that these two would not mix come winter. I will have separate them by the time fall comesso it is not a complete or utter disaster. Just a great annoyance. Luckily, I think they'll look quite different from each other by then to be able to separate them accurately.
Ave Maria, gratia plena, confortare totam plantarum mearum

beckhamlim24

Re: Tropical, temperate sundews sowed together

by beckhamlim24 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Drone232 wrote:I accidentally did this. I have nothing against my sundews clumping, so I have gotten into the habit of just sowing around 50 seeds in the same container at a time. I recently purchased my first ever temperate sundew seeds (Drosera Rotundifolia) and only later realized that sowing them with Drosera Burmannii a few days ago was not a good idea. I was used to sowing tropicals together and forgot that these two would not mix come winter. I will have separate them by the time fall comesso it is not a complete or utter disaster. Just a great annoyance. Luckily, I think they'll look quite different from each other by then to be able to separate them accurately.

Did you stratify your D. Rotundifolia seeds?

Drone232

Re: Tropical, temperate sundews sowed together

by Drone232 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:29 pm

I left the Drosera rotundifolia seeds outside on wet sphagnum for the month of Febuary. There were ten seeds and because the container was large and I knew that would be extra room, I added 30 Drosera burmannii seeds as soon as spring sprung. Nothing has germinated yet besides grass, but such was the same for when I first started gowing sundews from seeds half a year ago. Grass sprouts first and then as the weeks pass by the sundews will begin popping up.
Ave Maria, gratia plena, confortare totam plantarum mearum

Return to Sundews, Rainbow Plants, and Dewy Pines