FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Jds197
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any available drosera, either young or adult plants. I'm looking for adelae, tokaiensis, spatulata, burmannii (specifically the larger forms), aliciae, admirabilis, intermedia (tropical or temperate), filiformis "Florida all-red", and various binata varieties. I'm also interested in some of the cooler capensis types. I can only pay using paypal at the moment. Thanks!
Last edited by Jds197 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
By BrunoL
What would you consider "cooler" Drosera Capensis types? I have a few drosera Capensis divisions that I can offer. (Or seeds since my mature Capensis just opened its first flower this morning)
By Jds197
BrunoL wrote:What would you consider "cooler" Drosera Capensis types? I have a few drosera Capensis divisions that I can offer. (Or seeds since my mature Capensis just opened its first flower this morning)
I'd love to get my hands on a red, giant, or Bains Kloof. Let me know what you have and I'll consider it.
Last edited by Jds197 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jds197
nimbulan wrote:I wouldn't consider D. adelae an easy plant personally. I've found it very temperamental and in the 2 years I've owned it I haven't been able to keep it happy for more than a couple days at a time.
Yeah, I've heard some people struggle with them for some reason. It's still something that I'm interested in, D. adelae is just a cool looking plant overall.
By nimbulan
Jds197 wrote:
nimbulan wrote:I wouldn't consider D. adelae an easy plant personally. I've found it very temperamental and in the 2 years I've owned it I haven't been able to keep it happy for more than a couple days at a time.
Yeah, I've heard some people struggle with them for some reason. It's still something that I'm interested in, D. adelae is just a cool looking plant overall.
In my experience the plant is very picky about the amount of light it receives and is very slow to adapt to changing conditions. The leaves burn very quickly if given too much light. I get the impression it's very hard to kill though: When the leaves start burning, it sends up more sprouts all over the pot to compensate.
By Jds197
nimbulan wrote:In my experience the plant is very picky about the amount of light it receives and is very slow to adapt to changing conditions. The leaves burn very quickly if given too much light. I get the impression it's very hard to kill though: When the leaves start burning, it sends up more sprouts all over the pot to compensate.
This sounds alot like my young d. regia (currently my only sundew), I can't get it to size up and its leaves die off just as fast as it can produce them. Hence why I'm interested in something I can actually grow and looks nice.
By nimbulan
Jds197 wrote:This sounds alot like my young d. regia (currently my only sundew), I can't get it to size up and its leaves die off just as fast as it can produce them. Hence why I'm interested in something I can actually grow and looks nice.
D. capensis to the rescue. Good luck!
By w03
I wonder if different clones of D. adelae are the reason for the unusually picky plants some people have...

Mine seem to do well in pretty much any light as long as they have good humidity and are planted in some sort of lfs-based medium.
By nimbulan
w03 wrote:I wonder if different clones of D. adelae are the reason for the unusually picky plants some people have...

Mine seem to do well in pretty much any light as long as they have good humidity and are planted in some sort of lfs-based medium.
I was told that most D. adelae in cultivation are the same clone though I can't say how accurate this statement is. Mine's actually been perking up the last couple weeks after slowly moving it closer to my grow lights and leaving it there for 3 or 4 months (yes, it takes that long to adjust.) I've been planning on repotting it into LFS but hopefully that doesn't make it cranky for another 3 months.
By w03
It's sort of strange that they take so long to adjust in your conditions... I have one growing on top of a running air-conditioner, and it took only about a week to adjust. I think lfs based medium really helps this species. When I grew it in peat-based media it always looked a little sickly, at least in terrarium conditions.
By Jds197
Picked up some D. Spatulata from a friend and will soon be getting some D. Binata typicals thanks to MrsMuscipula. Still interested in finding a few more, like Marston's Dragon or D. multifida extrema, along with others in my original post. Also added D. aliciae and D. admirabilis to my search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By KissMegan
We have some Marstons dragon in the greenhouse. Unfortunately we're not allowed to take anything from the greenhouse and I always find scale on them so you wouldn't want them anyways. They surprisingly look amazing even with being attacked by bugs. Probably one of my favorite drosera.
Someday I'll sneak a cutting and see if I can get strikes haha

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!