FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
I don't have a terrarium but judging from my hydroponic experience, I would think there would be some beneficial bacteria for the roots of the plants and soils that help. Even though they grow in nutrient poor soil, there is still beneficial bacteria that help the roots process what nutrients are available and oxygen. That's why high nutrient soil, like miracle gro, burn the roots, it kills the bacteria and overloads their system. If you were to clean it, I would suggest what I did with my hydro systems (because it is an enclosed system as well) and use a diluted hydrogen peroxide mix. A standard bottle from a drug store works great and dilute it 1/4 into water. Then simply scrub the inside with a Brillo pad or sponge. That way it cleans out the bacteria growth without harming the good bacteria too much. Although someone with some terrarium experience can chime in, that's my take on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ps3isawesome
Hmmmmm, the point on healthy bacteria is very interesting.

I only cleaned my tank after the first month of setting it up. That was back in October. Which means it's been 4 months since I last cleaned it. I felt kinda lazy which is why I wanted to ask everyone :)
By SundewWolf
I should have mentioned my large terrarium houses potted plants, so its not a planted terrarium. But I do have a "planted" shizandra terrarium.
I could just take ever potted plant out of the larger one and scrub it, but I'm not sure how you would clean a planted terrarium other that just the sides of the glass...
By katya_dog1
Hmm. Good question. Seeing as I am going to do a terrarium in the fall, I wonder too. I think the best option would be to keep the walls clean, and whenever you do a group repotting (obviously in a soil terrarium) you would take all plants out, clean them up, replace the soil and put them back in.

For a potted terrarium like what you have (I think) you could probably just clean the walls if they get buildup on them, but that should not be a problem for CP water.

As Bvalente said, definitely it would be best to sterilize with only Hydrogen Peroxide. It is that way for aquariums, the guy at the aquarium store near here said he uses that for each no host in the tank because they are there for only a bit. No bleach or other harsh chemicals.
By Sander
Well, i have 2 terraria at the moment, my heli tank and my pygmy tank, the first is cleaned every 2 weeks or so (meaning i just drain all the water collected below the grid the pots are on, so the roots are never in standing water, and thats it).

For the second, i do nothing at all..

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!