FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By KissMegan
So I see a lot of seeds listed and a good review of arvice30 on ebay but I'm wondering if anyone has bought from him/her and propagated the seeds successfully? On amazon I see reviews that say they got the seeds but none that say whether or not the seeds grew or anything.
By ps3isawesome
i honestly refrain from buying plants or seeds from international sellers. It's just much harder to redress any grievances. Unless they are one of a kind or unavailable in the US. Even then it's still kinda risky. Sorry this comment is kinda useless as it doesn't answer your question :)
Last edited by ps3isawesome on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By thijs
I think I actually bought from him. Not a very positive experience so far. First of all, it felt really stingy with the amount of seeds for the cash. 6-10 seeds, that was it. And up to now I see no movement whatsoever. Nothing sprouting yet. I still hope, but I think I'm fooling myself.

At the same time I ordered from a seller in Indonesia and got 6 full pods of seeds. For the about the same or less cash (can't remember exactly). This translated to a bit too much seeds I though at first. But now I have a dozen actually sprouted from that. Very happy there, especially as it should be a plant I've really wanted to have (albomarginata).

So... not positive. It might still work out, but I doubt it. I must admit I sowed a few weeks later than the ones from Indonesia, so it might just be that I need some more patience.

At any rate, at the germination rate normal for Nep seeds (as I understand it), I'm now thinking you should at least get more than 6-10 seeds. That's cutting it a bit close.
thijs liked this
By KissMegan
Ahhhh I see. Gosh it's so difficult to decide. But yeah I agree it is pretty expensive for the amount of seeds. They just have rare stuff I've been looking for for a while. I think I may become an ICPS member soon and check their seed bank then decide. Let me know if you get any growth on those seeds and thanks for the input
By Ras
you seem to be on the same mission I am. I actually asked this same question in the plant supplier sub forum weeks ago with no answer, so I pm'ed the seller because I noticed all of his feedback was from people basically rating the shipping time, no one seemed to wait to see if the seeds actually germinated before leaving him feedback. SO I pm'd him and asked him when the seeds were harvested, he said a year ago. so I didnt take the chance.
and just another tip the icps seedbank usually holds the petiolaris and rare seeds back for people who donated seeds so if you do become a member, be prepared for that!
good luck
By RL7836
In general, purchasing seeds from internet has the same success ratio as directly flushing your $$$ in toilet.

It's typically very appealing to new buyers because of low prices.

It's appealing to sellers because they can
- rename seed as a more expensive species (yes many seller just lie)
- use seed of any age
- blame buyers (or mail system) for seed that doesn't germinate

Even some famous sellers (like the Czech guy) use the internet to dump old seed. He sells lots of rare species but none ever germinate.

Exceptions:
- there are two Nep seed sellers that often sell viable seed - but even they sometimes sell old seed that won't germinate (their names can be found via searches on Nep forum or CPUK) ---- also understand these two guys are selling wild-collected seeds which in some cases are from endangered populations
- people who have good reputations on the various CP forums (this is definitely the best place to get viable seeds)
By Dionae
I like a couple of seed sellers but, of course, you know i'm only buying sarracenia seeds lol. Like Ron said though...most of the time its a waste of money.

Cedriz Azais-never had a problem with his seeds germinating and I have several of his hybrids. Only lists items after harvest season but does have a website you can order seeds from but its mostly sarrs.

http://www.cedric-carnivores.fr/?&id_lang=1

Carnilandes-If you want leuco albas, location data leucos and a nice selection this is the person to order from. He also only lists seeds after harvesting them but also has a site and he has a more diverse seeds list though, still, mostly sarrs.

http://www.sarracenia.fr/index.htm
By KissMegan
You guys are making good points. It's more about I want rarer plants I can't find in the US and can only find seeds overseas haha. But yeah I suppose I'll just wait it out. I've never gotten seeds that didn't germinate but then again I've always bought from people I know :P
By RL7836
KissMegan wrote:You guys are making good points. It's more about I want rarer plants I can't find in the US and can only find seeds overseas ...
One of the best ways to get rare plants is to network with other growers. When I say 'network', I mean just be active & join discussions on subjects/plants that interest both of you. Often, when an established grower sees someone who is truly interested, they may offer seeds, divisions or cuttings either free or for a good price.

Don't network because you want something from them but because you're genuinely interested.

I've got grower/buddies that I've given plants worth collectively over $1000 & several species that are difficult to even find in USA. The flip side is also true - the female hamata that is flowering now was one of two that I received years ago as a gift from a buddy/grower.

If you have a club in your area, attend the meetings. Many great conversations, opportunities to meet new people & score rare plants. New England, San Fran, Los Angeles & Portland, OR - all have great get-togethers for CP people.
RL7836 liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!