FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By ps3isawesome
Currently I have a 10 gallon tank but plan to buy a 20 gallon soon for my Highlanders.

Now the question is in summer, the average outdoor temperature is around 85~95 during the day. This means indoor temperate with (insulation and tile flooring) is around 70~80 degrees. I haven't grew any Cps during summer but I can almost guarantee that temperate inside my tank will be in the 80~90's with the lights.

This mean a misting system or humidifier isn't enough to cool down the heat so I'd most likely have to invest in a misting and cooling system.

My budget is $400 dollars. Can anyone make a suggestion?

THANK YOU
By Mufasa
One possible solution is to build a peltier cooling fan, a peltier element essentially transfers heat to one of its faces, making the other face cool, so you'd sandwich it between 2 CPU coolers, then activating all the components would make one side pump out colder than ambient air
this project could cost literalling $10-$50, depending on what power adapters and CPU fans you have avaliable already (fans might be obtained from local PC shop for cheap, perhaps)
you could also then couple it with a thermostat module to automate it
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Temp ... OC:AU:3160

good luck, lemme know if you need help with this idea
By Mufasa
could have sworn i reponded to this, but i guess i didnt O_O

From what i recall, the peltier element draws 4 amps, if you run it through that thermostat i linked, it should switch on and off as required according to the temperature (or just stay off if it isnt hot enough), so that might conserve some power

the draw of the CPU fans should be comparatively negligible.
By Maiden
From my humble opinion, the only thing you need is a A/C.

I grow almost all my highland cps in little tanks, 10, 20 and 30 gal. Its a way easier to control RH% and temperatures when the tanks are little.

With a air conditioner, you will easily reach the temperatures you want in your tanks.

From my experience, misting systems are fancy, but useless. And constant mists can bring you culture problems.
By Mufasa
i kinda think if you're going to A/C a whole room, you may aswell dedicate the whole room to the hobbym and have it as a grow room, rather than a terrarium.
cooling a whole room to cool one little terrarium seems wasteful to me
By Maiden
I understand your point Musafa, but from my opinion, a window a/c cannot cool down a entire house, plants or not. Exept for strong ones, like 14000+BTU, or central units.

Also, if you dont keep your highland plants in a tank, or a closed grow area, you will end with dry plants because any air conditioners will suck up the RH% heavily.

The solution is to redirect the a/c cold air flux directly on the tank(s), no matter if you keep only a room, or your entire house/appartment cool or cold.

Unfortunately, in hot climates, A/C is the only way to grow properly highland and ultra highland plants. Icepaks is not enough.

In my appartment, i keep a cold room, where we sleep, and i keep my HL terrariums there in the summer.
By Cory
I tried many many different ways to cool areas for growing.

I came up with two options that are reliable.

As mentioned before an AC unit which is what I currently use for one of my grow areas.

Most can drop to 60* at night and that's where you will need to be or cooler for true HL plants. They may tolerate warmer when small but they will not when larger.

Second is a non heated basement which is where I grow most of my HL and UHL neps. It's much easier to heat than cool.

I also strongly suggest to keep daytime temps at or below 80* warmer will cause issues depending on which species you intent to grow.

Cooling a single tank is virtually impossible
and I have determined most options to be unreliable longterm and quite expensive

Cooling it down reliably and actually controlling temps properly will require constant fiddling. Your plants will suffer
By ps3isawesome
thanks guys! I don't think I"ll make any definite decision until summer actually hits. There are parts of my house that are cool so until I find out how much temperature drop is required I don't think i'll make any purchase.

Nonetheless, thanks to everyone who replied. Although I think AC is probably my only way out of this. boo
By Mufasa
just wondering... is a peltier cooler really such a bad option? so much so that spending several hundred on a small A/C unit is a better option?
they can be fairly compact, and easier to work in units like a thermostat, the cold air can be generated from within the tank, so humidity loss should be less of an issue
Mufasa liked this
By ps3isawesome
Hey Mufasa, I think your suggestion is an excellent idea and I'm totally willing to explore it before I invest in an AC unit. You mentioned you could help me out which I'll need because i'm completely technologically disabled :)

I"ll def need help.
By tish
Mufasa wrote:just wondering... is a peltier cooler really such a bad option? so much so that spending several hundred on a small A/C unit is a better option?
they can be fairly compact, and easier to work in units like a thermostat, the cold air can be generated from within the tank, so humidity loss should be less of an issue
Its not a bad idea my friend. Different cooling unit suits different grow area. Just that i dont have a tank and air conditioning unit is better for my choice. Not to mention my room temperature is 30-35°C, mot much a peltier cooler can do for my case. Peltier is one of my listed item before.

Sent from my Samsung Tab S
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!