FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Ras
will someone explain the bold part

7.Now fill the pail with the ringed-out peat up to the 1/2 or 3/4 mark (depending on how much you recovered) with rainwater, distilled or RO water. . To speed things up, you will rinse twice more (or 3 times to be extra safe) with rainwater or purified water.
8.Repeat the ringing process.
Your hands and arms may start to ache after a while. it's good exercise .
source: http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_p...us_plants.html

for the life of me I cannot figure this out.
so I fill the bucket with the wet peat soaked in tap water, then add the distilled water, wring out the peat then I do what? refill the bucket with distilled and do it over three times or is he saying to take the peat out of the distilled water, wring it, put it back(into the same water) and wring it again?
By iProcreate
After you wring out the peat, refill the bucket with fresh distilled water. However, I only rinse once and don't have any issues with mold/fungus/algae/seeds/etc. but I always check the water with a TDS meter to make sure it's under 50. If it isn't, I'll rinse once more.
iProcreate liked this
By Ras
Dionae wrote:I never rinse peat. Tried it a few times and it was a mess and didnt notice any difference in plant health/growth.
you and I both brother. Most I do is boil some distilled water and ru it through the pot before planting in it, and that is more or less just to hydrate the peat and possibly kill some spores.
but see here http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/anyon ... 26073.html
I'm trying a different brand than I normally use this year (greensmix is my usual brand) so I figured wth
Ras liked this
By Mufasa
i have a large kitchen strainer, i usually put my media in it, and hose through it over a bucket, and wring it out a few times, then use salvaged water to water veg
By SundewWolf
Ras wrote:
Dionae wrote:I never rinse peat. Tried it a few times and it was a mess and didnt notice any difference in plant health/growth.
you and I both brother. Most I do is boil some distilled water and run it through the pot before planting in it
Jeez, I never got the memo either lol.
SundewWolf liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!