FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By UltraZelda64
My understanding is that the Green Dragon is a genetic mutation of Red Dragon, causing the plant to have green on the trap edges. But is that really all? Are there any other noticeable differences between the two? I got the Green Dragon for the bi-color appearance, but it seems to be growing slow as hell; is its non-mutated clone parent just as slow? Put in other words, is there *any* reason to bother buying a Red Dragon if I already have a Green Dragon? My guess is no, but I'd like to hear a more "official" answer, from someone with experience with the two (or maybe just happened to stumble upon more information of the two than I have).
Last edited by UltraZelda64 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By xr280xr
Akai Ryu exhibits all red coloration more dependably. In my experience in early spring it can show some green but the rest of the year it's all red. It is also a pretty slow grower.
By Matt
I've not found Green Dragon to be any "greener" than Akai Ryu. They both develop a deep red coloration in full light.

However, Green Dragon is more vigorous for us and gets larger and keeps more traps on average than does Akai Ryu.
Matt liked this
By UltraZelda64
So they're pretty similar overall then, it sounds like. I have noticed my Green Dragon traps do turn all-red eventually, but I do like the green tips that the new ones have at first. I think I'll just settle with my Green Dragon and spend the money on something else, like a 'Ginormous' and 'B52 x Ginormous'. Thanks for the info, guys.
By Kevonicus
Ginormous is an awesome VFT. I received mine it was a size of a quarter. Two growing seasons later it's up there with my other Giant flytraps (along with several divisions). It's a fast grower, has a neat leaf structure, and an overall nice looking plant! :)

Kevonicus liked this
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!