FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
watnazn wrote:I would have to back up cooks too. They might have been bad when you bought from them matt, what did you get?
I just looked at my order that I placed with them on 3/1/2008, here's the invoice:
1 dio17-1 Pink Venus - $6.99
1 dio03-1 Red Dragon - $3.99
1 sar07-3 leucophylla typical - $6.25
1 dro38-2 intermedia large form - $7.95
1 sar97-1 x Daniel Rudd - $11.95
with shipping it was almost $50.
Out of those plants, the Pink Venus, Red Dragon an Drosera intermedia died. Those are the only plants I've had die on me. They were puny plants that should have never been sold. That's why I gave them the bad review. The typical leucophylla is still struggling. It wasn't a very large plant either. The Daniel Rudd is a very nice plant. 1 for 5 is bad in my book, especially when I spent $50. This was the first order of carnivorous plants that I made online and I was utterly disappointed.

I also had some sort of communication problem with them. My order didn't ship for something like two weeks and finally I emailed them to see why and they said they were waiting for me to clarify something. But they never contacted me to let me know they needed clarification. Poor communication by a retailer is a big no-no in my book.
watnazn wrote:I also like them because their pricing is extremely fair, actually really cheap.
Yes, I agree that their prices are good, but for the size their plants are, they should be. Everywhere else I've ordered from, the plants are at least twice as large as the ones I got from Dean Cook.
watnazn wrote:Maybe you should try again :).
Now why would I want to do that if I know that there are many other CP sellers out there that have excellent plants? ;)
watnazn wrote:Get a pygmy sundew haha, they are always great and they are only like 1 dollar. I ordered 3 plants from them once, and it ended up being about 10 dollars including shipping.
Sundews are so easy to grow from seed, I'll probably never order another one of those online unless I can't get my hands on the seed.
By lemonlily
Matt went to carnivorous plant heaven. Bring me bring me!!!
By doku
Matt wrote:
watnazn wrote:I would have to back up cooks too. They might have been bad when you bought from them matt, what did you get?
I just looked at my order that I placed with them on 3/1/2008, here's the invoice:
1 dio17-1 Pink Venus - $6.99
1 dio03-1 Red Dragon - $3.99
1 sar07-3 leucophylla typical - $6.25
1 dro38-2 intermedia large form - $7.95
1 sar97-1 x Daniel Rudd - $11.95
with shipping it was almost $50.
Out of those plants, the Pink Venus, Red Dragon an Drosera intermedia died. Those are the only plants I've had die on me. They were puny plants that should have never been sold. That's why I gave them the bad review. The typical leucophylla is still struggling. It wasn't a very large plant either. The Daniel Rudd is a very nice plant. 1 for 5 is bad in my book, especially when I spent $50. This was the first order of carnivorous plants that I made online and I was utterly disappointed.

I also had some sort of communication problem with them. My order didn't ship for something like two weeks and finally I emailed them to see why and they said they were waiting for me to clarify something. But they never contacted me to let me know they needed clarification. Poor communication by a retailer is a big no-no in my book.
watnazn wrote:I also like them because their pricing is extremely fair, actually really cheap.
Yes, I agree that their prices are good, but for the size their plants are, they should be. Everywhere else I've ordered from, the plants are at least twice as large as the ones I got from Dean Cook.
watnazn wrote:Maybe you should try again :).
Now why would I want to do that if I know that there are many other CP sellers out there that have excellent plants? ;)
watnazn wrote:Get a pygmy sundew haha, they are always great and they are only like 1 dollar. I ordered 3 plants from them once, and it ended up being about 10 dollars including shipping.
Sundews are so easy to grow from seed, I'll probably never order another one of those online unless I can't get my hands on the seed.
I dont know how it was for them early last year but i barely started ordering from them late last year. My first order from them was in September. Matt, I will agree with you that some of their plants are on the small side, but i have only noticed that with the flytraps. Usually their Sarracenia, nepenthes, and sundews are a good size for their price. That, of course, has been in my experience. Anytime that i have had a problem with a plant being in bad health, they have replaced it at their expense. But, I guess everyone has their own experiences. I do like them because they have plants that are hard to find elsewhere or to expensive. Except for the plants that arrive in bad health, none of the plants i get from them have died on me.
By Matt
doku wrote:I dont know how it was for them early last year but i barely started ordering from them late last year. My first order from them was in September. Matt, I will agree with you that some of their plants are on the small side, but i have only noticed that with the flytraps. Usually their Sarracenia, nepenthes, and sundews are a good size for their price. That, of course, has been in my experience. Anytime that i have had a problem with a plant being in bad health, they have replaced it at their expense. But, I guess everyone has their own experiences. I do like them because they have plants that are hard to find elsewhere or to expensive. Except for the plants that arrive in bad health, none of the plants i get from them have died on me.
I don't mean to sway anyone away from ordering with them. If they have something that you like and the price is right, you have to make up your own mind. Obviously there are lots of people that have had a good experience with them. I really wish I could say the same. It's going to be hard for me to get the bad taste out of my mouth of losing 60% of a $50 order. If I want more Sarrs that I can't locate elsewhere or that the price difference is substantial, I might order with them. But if the price is within a few bucks on another site that I know has good plants, I'll probably pay the extra $.
By doku
Matt wrote:
doku wrote:I dont know how it was for them early last year but i barely started ordering from them late last year. My first order from them was in September. Matt, I will agree with you that some of their plants are on the small side, but i have only noticed that with the flytraps. Usually their Sarracenia, nepenthes, and sundews are a good size for their price. That, of course, has been in my experience. Anytime that i have had a problem with a plant being in bad health, they have replaced it at their expense. But, I guess everyone has their own experiences. I do like them because they have plants that are hard to find elsewhere or to expensive. Except for the plants that arrive in bad health, none of the plants i get from them have died on me.
I don't mean to sway anyone away from ordering with them. If they have something that you like and the price is right, you have to make up your own mind. Obviously there are lots of people that have had a good experience with them. I really wish I could say the same. It's going to be hard for me to get the bad taste out of my mouth of losing 60% of a $50 order. If I want more Sarrs that I can't locate elsewhere or that the price difference is substantial, I might order with them. But if the price is within a few bucks on another site that I know has good plants, I'll probably pay the extra $.
I agree completely Matt. That is what i do. :)
By bpullin
Everybody can have bad experiences buying online, even from the best companies or people.

My only experience with Cooks was when I bought my s. mitchellianas. They were probably just about 2 years old. They went through winter fine and are doing great.

I connected with someone on a different forum and he sent me some bare-root sundews. They were DOA. He sent them in a plain letter envelope, nothing to keep the roots moist. They were dried out and crushed when I got them. Basically, he was an idiot. So, you just never know.
By watnazn
bpullin wrote:He sent them in a plain letter envelope, nothing to keep the roots moist. They were dried out and crushed when I got them. Basically, he was an idiot. So, you just never know.
Hahaha wow.

Well Matt I never ordered sarrs or vft's from them so I wouldn't know that. I have only ordered sundews, utrics, and nepenthes from them. And I can say the the size of the sundews were large, and they gave me a 2 inch by 1 inch clump of a bladderwort, and the nepenthes was about a 4 inch leafspan.
And, pygmy sundews are hard to get seed from I think, and when I ordered one for less than two dollars the clump they gave me was about 7 plants with 2 or 3 larger ones and a lot of smaller ones..
By Budukai
Ha that's funny, I just saw a video of that place I think http://growcarnivorousplants.com/monthly-care/ man, that musta been breathe taking seeing so many of those cobras. I've had a pretty bad fixation on this cp for a while now, possibly next year I'll have one of my own.
By STEVIEFLY
So Matt how long did you stay looking at the plants ? did your wife have to drag you away ? :lol:
By English Springer
Wow...I missed this post totally the first time. That looked really cool Matt!
Have you seen the pictures of one of our members CPlantation of his CP's being grown in the wild?
That guy really has some kind of operation going and it looks like it is for conservation purposes as well.

Thanks for sharing!
Peace!
E.S.
By STEVIEFLY
English Springer wrote:Wow...I missed this post totally the first time. That looked really cool Matt!
Have you seen the pictures of one of our members CPlantation of his CP's being grown in the wild?
That guy really has some kind of operation going and it looks like it is for conservation purposes as well.

Thanks for sharing!
Peace!
E.S.

i just had a look at his pic's that is a very impressive collection i would guess he is a seller ? :)
By Matt
English Springer wrote:Wow...I missed this post totally the first time. That looked really cool Matt!

Thanks for sharing!
Peace!
E.S.
Yes, I've seen his amazing photos. I'm about 90% sure that CPlantation is actually Bob Hanrahan. He's an old timer in the CP business and used to run a store (and might still) called World Insectivorous Plants. Now he lives in Georgia somewhere and grows thousands of CPs on his property. His photos are simply amazing.
By afh928
He stopped doing World Insectivorous Plants a LONG time ago, now his operation here in GA is primarily to grow plants for seed and then placement at his "in the wild" location in Alabama...which is for conservation/science/seed/etc. I am actually on my way to see his place here in GA right now, pretty stoked about it too! I'll let you guys know how awesome it is lol! :mrgreen:
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!