FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By ps3isawesome
Based on my naked eye's observation, I think the saucer dries up faster.

I kind of regret not collection rain water during the ONLY TIME Nor Cal rained during December.

So I am curious to find out which method saves retains more water.

By Mufasa
i can only imagine a crowded tray would leave less water exposed to moving air, and less exposed to sunlight, so possibly would lose water much slower in a tray?

perhaps it's even more water efficient to not use any tray or saucer at all, but to just water daily?
By ps3isawesome
Ya I agree with you that tray leaves less water exposed to moving air and sunlight.

Well, I"m just really lazy going around watering all the different pots, I'd rather just pour the water into the tray :)
By cbennett4041
Through several years of experience I can tell you that larger bodies of water maintain themselves easier and require less maintenance and topping up due to evaporation. I had to fill individual saucers daily, while my two-by-four foot and two-by-eight foot crowded troughs required periodic draining and refilling to avoid yucky stagnation. The more water you have the more it remains thermally stable. Smaller bodies of water (saucers) heat up and evaporate quickly, especially in dry climates; troughs do not.

It hurts to refill such large bodies, however, especially if you buy your water. It would require nearly one entire rain barrel (~50 gallons) to fill both troughs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cbennett4041 liked this

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per gal[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!