FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dematerialize
I have three D. Marston's Dragon plants(one I got about a month ago, the others back in August) and I've had one continuous issue with all of them that I'm not having with any other plant in my collection: early leaf withering/rotting. Two I got from someone in the forum and the last one from Cook's Carnivores so this seems to be something else directly connected to this variety.

It happened around late summertime as well-most leaves would darken slightly on a random spot on the stem(or right on the leaves) and from then on it'll go limp and begin withering away until it rots, then I have to cut it off. When it was hotter it would mostly get droopy at one spot and dry off, now with milder temperatures it seems to just dry off and fall apart. New leaves continue to grow and unfurl fine and healthy for days, producing dew normally.

They all just seem to barely last a week before they give up. Each plant is in its own pot and they've done the same when they were outdoors or indoors. I know many mention they need dormancy while others say they can grow year-round if warm enough with a long enough photoperiod. The new leaves are slightly smaller at the moment but there's a few that have grown larger at random times.

I've looked online for similar issues but I've yet to find any specific reason or detailed post talking about this. They're all planted in Besgro Spagmoss or Better Gro Sphagnum Moss and remain moist at all times. Have any of you had any issues with this variety before? I'll upload images in a bit once I'm on my phone.

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Alex
By tish
I have 1 from from a good buddy here. it was a long shipment and dead on arrival. I left it on peat and the root strike. After that it i transfer to lfs and it just kept growing. It was on window for 2 hours direct morning sun. It formed till 4 point before i brought it in to my new rack. And when it reaches 6 point and turn very red it died back, I cant remeber if i done something to it has caused it like this. I know i repot it to 100% peat, not sure if it was thr cause . It was barely alive and only produce very small 2 points leaf.

Today as of Now it has put out 2 point big leaf and new ones has reached 3 point. It was almoat 6 months ago when the set back happen. Maybe i repot it that cause it like that. Maybe it was the mild dormancy, IDK. Hope my experience helps.

Sent from my SM-N9005
By Dematerialize
Thank you very much Tish! I can't wait until they produce more points.

Cory- I've been feeding them every week or two weeks and recently I haven't had to since they're catching fungus gnats. I'll try to feed them a bit more though, thanks! Betta pellets or frozen bloodworms?
Dematerialize liked this
By Ras
mine do this aswell, at seemingly random times. I have started to just ignore it because it always runs its course w.o serious damage. It could be a lack of light , capensis has a very similar look when its under low light or the media is too dry, cant tell which one is the real cause but I feel its one or the other. the plant isn't getting enough of something, whether its water, light or something else. which is making the production of a leaf cost more (water, or energy from light, etc) than what it can generate, so basically the leaves cost more to make than they bring back.. if that makes sense. w.e it is It goes away with alittle extra "care". with bright lights wet soil and warmish temps binata can bounce back from just about anything
By Ras
if its cold enough and there is low enough lighting any form of binata will go dormant. some dont need it though.. Tform needs a dormancy, aswell as D.binata typical and I believe D binata dichtoma. but multidifa, multidifa extrema , marstons dragon, binata dichtoma giant and I believe a few others do not need dormancy. there are also some new zealand forms of Dbinata typical that dont need dormancy or cold stratification and they self pollinate.
By tish
Thank you Ras, so i think as long as Marston Dragon is given warm temp with strong lights. It should not go dormant. I'll try to maintain that condition. Coz this plant really took its time growing after dying back to only the rhizome.

Sent from my SM-N9005
By Cory
It's probably most likely a combination of all post this far imo.

Heavilly influenced or dominant binata hybrids seem to fast for a bit for me.
Take a break for a bit and die back slightly.
Some more sever than others do. Depends on the individual plant and how fussy it wants to be.

Warmer temps help but a longer photoperiod is what seemed to work the best but not with all. I have had several Marston Dragons over the years some are weeds and some are a pain. Genetics I suppose.

Either way just normal care and a feeding regime will keep it going so don't worry to much these things are pretty forgiving. They just have a mind of their own

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!