FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
cyph3r_gfy wrote:This borrowed list pretty much sums up my reasons:

Today, five ingredients you want to avoid in store brought bread:

Partially hydrogenated oils – yes, the evil trans-fat lurk in the bread aisle too. Make sure they don’t make the jump to your shopping cart.

Potassium bromate – used as a dough conditioner. (Reminder: dough conditioners (1) shorten dough rising times (2) increase shelf life, and (3) make the dough easier for their machinery to process). Potassium bromate is harmful in its raw form, but disappears during the baking process. Unless some of it doesn’t. Europe, Canada, and many other countries have banned the use of this additive.

Azodicarbonamide – a popular dough conditioner. As a side benefit, it also bleaches the flour (makes it whiter). It’s considered safe in the US at up to 45 parts per million, but is banned from use in Europe because studies showed it could cause asthma or allergic reactions.

DATEM – an acronym for Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Monoglycerides. Another dough conditioner used to improve volume and uniformity. It is considered safe by the FDA, but a study in 2002, on rats, showed “heart muscle fibrosis and adrenal overgrowth”.

Artificial colors – you’d be surprised but some breads include artificial colors.
Oh man, you are making me scared to eat store bought bread! :)
By Mufasa
bumping a slightly old thead, is it weird that i get... none of those cravings.. or really any cravings at all?
i sometimes have cravings for like, oolong/green tea (i only have low caffeine varieties), perhaps it's just dehydration though, i cant imagine it's a bad craving to have.

anyway, as for the bread stuff, it's easy to read something on the internet and overreact to it, things like gluten, soy, gmo, keto etc, kinda makes it scary to eat anything.
Mufasa liked this
By cyph3r_gfy
Mufasa wrote:bumping a slightly old thead, is it weird that i get... none of those cravings.. or really any cravings at all?
i sometimes have cravings for like, oolong/green tea (i only have low caffeine varieties), perhaps it's just dehydration though, i cant imagine it's a bad craving to have.

anyway, as for the bread stuff, it's easy to read something on the internet and overreact to it, things like gluten, soy, gmo, keto etc, kinda makes it scary to eat anything.
My only real cravings are something salty and dark chocolate. I buy 90% cacao, most people think it is awful... I love it. Since it is technically good for you, I give it a pass.

While I don't disagree with you Mufasa, I prefer to err on the side of caution (in terms of what you read on the internet). Gluten is a non issue for me, I'm tolerant and have been buying my wheat berries in 10 lb sacks for some time now. Soy you can keep, I hate the stuff. GMO... well, I wont touch it if possible. Both sides of that argument have been using scare tactics for quite a while now. There is something to be said about the number of countries that have banned anything GMO, however. There are also a handful of states in the US that have passed labeling laws (with respect to GMO).

You want to live a healthier lifestyle. 1 simple step... Shop local. You will be able to talk to the farmers and become familiar with their methods. You will also be telling them to grow more, by paying them for their wares. Not to mention, everything will be fresh from the fields and far more nutrient rich than most anything you buy from the big grocery store. In fact, as consumers... we are telling companies, farms, etc that we want more of what they're selling when we buy from them.
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By Mufasa
my favorite thing, i regularly do rounds of the local shops, looking for fresh produce specials (and bargain bin tofu clearance sort of stuff), i also really love legumes/beans, stuff is pretty cheap, you can prepare a spice powder for it ahead of time, boil them both for 20 mins and have a meal for two

i love gluten, if you know what seitan is (essentially only wheat gluten, cooked), i eat that stuff regularly

also man, dark chocolate isn't gross, 90% is great, i don't think you can exactly call it "healthy" because it has a couple of antioxidants or something in it, but it sure is tasty, it really seems to jack me up, like if i OD'd on caffeine, i usually buy 85%, because we only have 70 and 85%
By Matt
cyph3r_gfy wrote:My only real cravings are something salty and dark chocolate. I buy 90% cacao, most people think it is awful... I love it. Since it is technically good for you, I give it a pass.

While I don't disagree with you Mufasa, I prefer to err on the side of caution (in terms of what you read on the internet). Gluten is a non issue for me, I'm tolerant and have been buying my wheat berries in 10 lb sacks for some time now. Soy you can keep, I hate the stuff. GMO... well, I wont touch it if possible. Both sides of that argument have been using scare tactics for quite a while now. There is something to be said about the number of countries that have banned anything GMO, however. There are also a handful of states in the US that have passed labeling laws (with respect to GMO).

You want to live a healthier lifestyle. 1 simple step... Shop local. You will be able to talk to the farmers and become familiar with their methods. You will also be telling them to grow more, by paying them for their wares. Not to mention, everything will be fresh from the fields and far more nutrient rich than most anything you buy from the big grocery store. In fact, as consumers... we are telling companies, farms, etc that we want more of what they're selling when we buy from them.
Sounds like you and I eat very similarly, cyph3r_gfy. I too love dark chocolate, dislike soy products (other than adamame) and have no issues with gluten. I always buy local and non-GMO.
By cyph3r_gfy
If any of you want a healthier alternative to appease your sweet tooth... try making this once. I personally love it! Forgot where I found the recipe or I'd give them credit. Anyhow:

3 mashed bananas (ripe)
1/3 cup apple sauce
2 cups of oats
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. enjoy! egg-less, flour-less, dairy-less and no added sugar! Win in my book!
cyph3r_gfy liked this
By katya_dog1
cyph3r_gfy wrote:My only real cravings are something salty and dark chocolate. I buy 90% cacao, most people think it is awful... I love it. Since it is technically good for you, I give it a pass.

Wow, so I am NOT the only one who likes 90% cacao chocolate. ;)

And definitely, shopping locally is your best bet. Plus, you can talk to the farmers and find out EXACTLY what goes into your food.
By Mufasa
man, buying 90% chocolate, you get like 10x the chocolate for 1/10th the usual size
the stuff is also really good to melkt & dip home made bars into, or drizzle over, there has to be some sort of stimulant effect from cocoa.

also, i should elaborate on the gluten thing, gluten is really nutritious, there are some arguments that it doesn't absorb very well, but it is basically just the protein portion of wheat, you get about 80-90% protein when you eat gluten, and it has a nice texture too (depending on how its cooked)
By Matt
I thought this article was one of the more well-written, clear and simple explanations of why eating only plants (no meat or dairy) does not compromise one's health, as many people seem to believe:
The Power of Plant-Based Protein for Runners

A quote from that article:
There’s no nutritional myth that has lasted longer than the notion that meat, fish, dairy and eggs are our only possibilities to receive adequate protein. For a singular type of food to be referred to as a “complete protein source,” it must contain all of the essential amino acids. While the myth suggests that plant-based foods are incomplete protein sources that cannot be relied on to meet our needs, this is simply untrue.
By Mufasa
yeah, protein... with vegan diet, most sources of protein usually have 2.3x as much in carbs
it's enough for the average person i think, with some thought into it, i think bodybuilders, and certain athletes... maybe need some supplements?... idk, the protein stuff comes up alot in bodybuilding, it varies alot, often suggested for that sort of thing is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, which is diffictuly to achieve on a vegan diet without supplements, or a crazy amount of carbs along with it

not sure what i believe regarding protein requirements for athletes... i kinda wonder if there are genuine things that a vegan diet should have to supplement... i've gone long periods without stuff like b12/omega 3 supplements.. without really noticing anything different, those are often suggested to be lacking in plant sources, and i kinda imagine there HAS to be something that the vegan diet wouldnt naturally cover, since most conventional statistics on diets would be run on omnivorous diets..
Mufasa, Mufasa liked this
By lemonlily
I've read most of The China Study and it is pretty interesting. The studies do show that eating animal products are causing us health problems like heart disease, diabetes and cancer (which are almost "western" diseases) and by that I mean many of us are seriously becoming part of the rising statistics. In other parts of the world, people have less chronic health problems. In cultures/regions that have healthier people, they usually have a lot more exercise (farming and transportation by foot) and they are also exposed to less chemicals. I've also read most of "Healthy at 100." Which covers the China study too, but the book mainly talks about places in the world where the oldest people live in. But they aren't just old, they don't even have heart problems, vision problems, loss of hearing or dementia.

Anyway, here is my own opinion on the different types of diets that are becoming popular.

Paleo - I don't know the specifics about this diet but I do know that whatever in the grocery store isn't actually paleo. We can no longer eat that way because... Well, bugs are gross. By that I mean our ancestors used to eat everything. We couldn't just buy stuff, we had to eat what we could find. For example, if you eat broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower in a day, they're all different vegetables. However they are all cruciferous vegetables. Nothing wrong with that, but that isn't what paleo is about. Maybe I'm not well informed, but I think the (real) paleo diet should include many many different types of food, which we cannot find at the grocery store.

Atkins/low carb diet - while it makes sense that our bodies aren't designed for processing lots of sugar, our brain prefers glucose as its primary source of fuel (correct me if I'm wrong). Our muscles and liver store glucose in the form of glycogen. We have these abilities for a reason. The low carb diet is supposed to work by lowering the amount of insulin, and because insulin makes us store fat. (I don't remember exactly how)
But the problem with the low carb diet is that it is low in calories. No fruit or grains. Only meat and veggies basically. When your body is low in calories it will digest your own muscle. Long story short, it is not sustainable and you will likely lose muscle along with the fat. It works for losing weight, but it isn't exactly a healthy way to do it.

Here is my opinion on the whole food, plant based diet.
People on this diet are guaranteed to be healthier than someone on the vegan diet. What's the differences? Well, vegans may be very strict with animal products, but not with processed foods. Chips are vegan, for example, but not healthy. If you are eating whole foods, you get more nutrients in your body.

I believe that evolution-wise, we should be eating meat. (We have those canine teeth or whatever they're called) HOWEVER the meat we get from the factory farms these days are full of chemicals and toxins. Therefore we are probably better off not eating it. So I'd say that it isn't "meat" that is the problem, but it is the meat we get from the store that is harmful to our bodies.

Milk - Probably not even good for us. But one thing for sure, it's unnatural and our bodies aren't designed to digest it beyond a certain age (I think after we are toddlers or babies). Also, it comes from a cow. It's weirder to drink off a cow than from mommy... Which no longer supplies us with milk, duh. :lol:

Animal fat vs plant fat - both fats have their own problems. But lately I've been reading that plant oils like corn oils and vegetable oils are very high in omega 6 which is inflammatory. Olive oil and coconut oil continue to be healthy fats. But in all honesty I think saturated fats from animals are more natural than corn/veg oil because it's attached to the meat we eat whereas some oils are chemically extracted.

Whenever I eat stuff I just think about if it exists in nature. Is it normal to eat it?
lemonlily, lemonlily liked this
By cyph3r_gfy
Mufasa wrote:yeah, protein... with vegan diet, most sources of protein usually have 2.3x as much in carbs
it's enough for the average person i think, with some thought into it, i think bodybuilders, and certain athletes... maybe need some supplements?... idk, the protein stuff comes up alot in bodybuilding, it varies alot, often suggested for that sort of thing is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, which is diffictuly to achieve on a vegan diet without supplements, or a crazy amount of carbs along with it

not sure what i believe regarding protein requirements for athletes... i kinda wonder if there are genuine things that a vegan diet should have to supplement... i've gone long periods without stuff like b12/omega 3 supplements.. without really noticing anything different, those are often suggested to be lacking in plant sources, and i kinda imagine there HAS to be something that the vegan diet wouldnt naturally cover, since most conventional statistics on diets would be run on omnivorous diets..
What is generally accepted among nutritionists: Protein aids in muscle repair. The amount of protein you should consume, however, always seems to be changing. I, at 160lbs, eat about 100-130 grams of protein daily. That is insanely difficult, simply because I cannot eat as much food as I would need to fulfill that amount of protein daily. So I supplement with twice daily protein shakes at about 30 grams each. One morning shake, one post workout shake. What I've noticed: If I skip a shake, or my protein consumption is much less than normal; I feel much more sore than usual.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!