FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
I now have some live LFS! I got permission fro the owner of the land to take some from a patch growing wild in Morrisville. The soil is actually quite brown, the moss just grows on top of it. This patch only got about 1-2 hours of direct sun a day, and shade the rest of the day. It was cool and wet, but not soaking. I will post pictures later, my main question is the following: I currently have it in about 2-4 mm of water. It is quite wet, but it is not waterlogged or flooded. Do I need to change anything? It is cool where it was growing in the summer and it is cool where I am growing it inside-- Pretty much the same conditions as summer where it grew.
By David F
LFS careguide

Lots of water (check)
High humidity (check?)
Sufficient indirect or artificial light (check?)
Dormant period if temperate (not-check)
- You brought it inside, you may want to consider leaving it outside or in a room that experiences seasonality.
By Sander
And an occasional flooding helps as well :)
By katya_dog1
Yeah, I plan to flood and drain it once in a while. I still remember the pictures KissMegan posted of her lfs. It was beautiful.

@David F, yes it has high humidity. I have covered the container in plastic wrap with holes in it to allow for a bit of air exchange. It gets indirect sunlight all day, I have it next to a south facing window. I can also put it in an east facing window if it needs more light.

As to the temperate-ness, why I did not think of that at all! I assume I will just keep it above freezing, taking it in if there is a hard freeze. But also the patch in the wild is turning brown, so I thought it was dying for the winter. I will keep it inside until it begins to get new growth, and then put some outside and some inside to be sure that one must survive. :)
By Mufasa
I have my large culture in a big tub, with shade cloth over it (and one end lifted up for ventilation)
it's doing better than the direct sun cultures i have, although one peculliar example of some in a pot in full sun is weirdly doing well, has brown tips but is remaining very green for about 2 months

my main culture, i usually put a cup or so of water in it a day, depending on how much is left in there, i have the bottom of the tub lines with 2 layers of shade cloth, and maybe half an inch or so of dead LFS, topped with live LFS

i sometimes try to keep it out of the rain, but sometimes im out or at work, and i cant, so it sometimes gets flooded from the rain, which is probably good for it

i've had it for i think 2 or 3 months now, i think it's probably very hard to notice growth in this stuff lol, might want to take pictures to compare

the guy who sold it to me (who by the way is very good with this stuff) said i could feed it occasionally with a diluted plant food, not sure about the ratio, i guess something like 20% power of seasol or something would probably be good
By katya_dog1
Yeah, I have a couple aquariums. I might dilute some water from that in a 10:1 ratio to make a bit of fertilizer.
By tish
I bought a small pack locally about a month or 2 ago. Immediately put them in plastic food containers with a thin layer of peat moss at the base. I use low ppm water and water it by spraying on top. You can see the live sphagnum absorbing water. It's quite ovbious. Once the bottom container has half a centimetres of water. I stop spraying and cover the box with holes on it. It's under my T5ho light with all my plants.

Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!